Which software for a beginner?

pianoman1976

Hello friends,

I would like some advice about which Mac DAW software is best for a beginner. I have always relied on someone else handling the recording equipment, and am now investing in my own home recording set-up. I've asked similar questions on this site, but what I'm really wanting to know now is which software program out there is the easiest to use, the most musician friendly, that makes the technical aspects not so difficult. Which is the most fun to use?

I had this belief that Pro Tools LE would be my saving grace. An entry level version of Pro Tools that would hold my hand through the process and make everything easy on me. I'm learning that maybe this is not the case.

What about Sonar? Any others? A friend of mine is telling me Garage Band is all I need, and it's really easy to use? I don't want to get caught up in a serious learning curve.

I appreciate the advice.

hey i think garage band is a great program for begginers (such as myself)... ive learned a few tricks on it and i definitely feel much more ready to tackle more complex softwares

Audacity is the most simple multitrack recorder I know of without too many options. Then Reaper, but only because it has a shitload more options. Adobe Audition was also really easy to learn.

But I feel that if you got familiar with Reaper you would probably find no good reason to go to a more expensive one.

Edit: Sorry, not sure how I missed the MAC part of your post.

I have Cubase 3 and AA 2.0, (3.0 now available) and from my limited experience with software I like Audition, its very intuitive and makes editing a breeze.

Garageband comes with your Mac, and it's good for beginners.

I use Tracktion myself, and I totally love it. It's the ONLY recording software that's ever felt intuitive to me, the only one that doesn't get in my way or suffer from massive bloat. The "lite" versions of things usually aren't any simpler... they just don't include various extras like commercial plug-ins, or artificially limit the number of tracks you can record.

Tracktion is cheap and easy to use, but still much more powerful than Garageband.

Back