Which setup *theoretically* would give clearer audio?

Jedman

I've got a crazy question that I can't seem to find the answer to elsewhere, so I figured I'd try here and see if any of you know...for the record, this is not a recording box, this is my "work rig", ie. photoshop, but I do listen to music with it daily.

I have a Philips Acoustic Edge soundcard installed. For those unfamiliar with it, at the time I purchased it, it was better than Creative's Audigy. Not sure how it stacks up today.
There are both digital SPIDF and analog 1/8" stereo outputs/inputs.
I have a Cambridge Soundworks Digital 2.1 speaker setup that have both digital SPIDF in and analog 1/8" stereo in.

What would (in theory, obviously) give me the clearer sound? Using the DACs on the Acoustic Edge soundcard and going with the analog out, or using digital out form the soundcard and using the (I'm assuming) speakers' DACs?

Thanks for any explanations on this one, I'd like to understand how this works.
Jed

ok, I know for a fact cambridge audio don't make the best products but they make GOOD products for the price IMO.

Better than an Audigy isn't really saying a lot, it's like saying I drive a car and it's better than walking. Phillips are actualy a pretty decent company, Sony & Phillips invented the S/PDIF in/out (Sony/Phillips Digital Interphase Fucker), it's not a convertor, it's a digital pass through that adds no colourati8on to the sound, so from that decide what way you want to go.

I don't know if you have a listening rig or one for mixing from your post. If it's for mixing I'd encourage an upgrade, if it's not you may be more than happy with what you have.

Hard to know just from the info you gave.

In theory the digital output on the soundcard to the speakers would be best. It is hard to find good convertors in soundcards (there are some, but rare and expensive). And most likely the digital connection will pass through a transformer on one side freeing you of ground problems.

But it will all depend on how good the DA conversion in the speakers is. If that one is worse than on the soundcard, then the analog might be better. But I really doubt it.

Thanks for the replies. If we can discuss this further:

To clarify, this is only for listening to music while I work...not my recording box, or for mixing, etc.

As the information I gave (all that I had) was vague, I searched the 'Net for some manuals & specs.
From the Cambridge Soundworks Digital 2.1 manual, where it discusses the analog and digital inputs into the speaker system:
"The presence of a SPDIF connection automatically defeats any analog connection."
I'm assuming by this that they mean if the soundcard has a SPDIF out, then use it, because it will be clearer than the analog out. The manual also states that the speakers are high enough quality to reveal hum or noise in many analog inputs, and therefore using the SPDIF is recommended.

I found a review on www.digit-life.com in the archives testing the Acoustic Edge's SPDIF out...they ranked it pretty high. After all, as they pointed out, Philips helped design the digital out in the first place, so it ought to be good.

So... I guess there's part of my answer, at least. If anyone has more comments, I'd enjoy reading them.
Jed

Jedman said:
"The presence of a SPDIF connection automatically defeats any analog connection."

I believe that means that you can't use an analog and digital connection at the same time, and if both are plugged in, the analog would be disabled.

Back