Which setting is better

heaven

Hi all, what do you think which setting is much appropriated?

a. Mic->Sanamps GT2->DMP3->Soundcard,
b. Mic->DMP3->Sanamps GT2->Soundcard

Also, after buying DMP3, I need to purchased additional cable. Actually, is it
have any sound difference or which one is better of a 1/4 TRS and a 1/4 TS cable? Which one is recommaned for recording?

Thanks.

The GT2 is a guitar pedal, and not useable for microphone signals. You cannot connect the mic to the GT2, and connecting the mic to the DMP3 and then to the GT2 is a bad idea because the GT2 is not able to handle a line-level signal. It will clip like hell, or at any rate, sound horrible.

As far as cables go, it depends on your soundcard. If you have balanced inputs, use TRS, if you have unbalanced inputs, use TS. They are no better or worse than the other, provided you don't use 100 foot cables.

"Rules" are meant to be broken. If you like the sound the way you set up the chain then that's all that counts. People can recommend the "correct" way and often times have valid reasons for doing so, but never let that stop you from experimenting.

EDAN said:
"Rules" are meant to be broken. If you like the sound the way you set up the chain then that's all that counts. People can recommend the "correct" way and often times have valid reasons for doing so, but never let that stop you from experimenting.

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I will have more try to see which setting should be the best to me.

Hey Haven - I just answered this in your other post :D
Yes, experiment to find what sounds good to you, but just so you know the principal behind it, a mic level signal is much lower than a line level signal so it needs to be boosted by a preamp to work most efficiently with line level electronics (like your effects and soundcard).

Halion said:
... is a bad idea because the GT2 is not able to handle a line-level signal. It will clip like hell, or at any rate, sound horrible.

I agree..its good to do a little research before you plug anything in..things might be "powered" ...thus resulting in damage to your equipment! :eek:

YOu do realize that the GT 2 was designed to go between the guitar and the amp, don't you? It's just a really cool distortion box.

EDAN said:

true, but also that's like trying to reinvent heart surgery in the middle of a standard operation.

In other words, certain methods are logical and would give Heaven a better signal. there has to be proper gain staging there, if not, you got a shit signal.

Farview said it, it's simply a distortion box that goes between Mr Guitaro and Mrs Amp.

I would feel very sad if it took heaven a few hours to realize how to get the best signal.

That and plugging things into each other just because they accept the same plug is a dangerous thing to be doing.

The fact that he asked this question is enough to assume that he might be confused as to how to use this thing. Experimenting is one thing, but what if he decided to use this between his amp and his cabinet?

Yep, good to know the rules before you go breaking them - especially when dealing with electronics! Otherwise you might as well plug your guitar into a light socket... although that probably would create one really cool un-reproducable sound that you would remember for the rest of your life! :D
Oh wait... this thread is starting to sound like another one... :eek:

Yes, I think I got some misunderstanding of how to connect these things all together.

Sure, the connecting of GT2 setting is a abnormal way. But I just got a simple idea of, even the mic signal is very weak when connecting to the GT2, but I can control the input/master level during recording and max the GT2 signal to the soundcard. Thats why I got a acceptable sound thats not too weak.

So, is it any experience that putting line signal to a guitar pedal will break the box? Its also the main point I concern during the experimental of different connection setting.

Also, since I dont got a monitor right now, might be whats a hear from the computer speaker and think its is acceptable, this might be wrong because of my poor equipment. So, anyone can give some comments on what the record sound quality (Only the recorded sound, I know the music sucks....).

Thanks in advice.

heaven said:
So, anyone can give some comments on what the record sound quality (Only the recorded sound, I know the music sucks....).

Yea, it sucks, because you're doing it wrong. A Sansamp pedal is exactly as the name implies; it is to be used as a direct-in recording method "SANS" amplifier.

Sans=without. The dictionary is your friend.

If you feel like a renegade and want to break all the rules, then go crazy and insert the pedal between your guitar and amplifier (that will likely suck, too, but I've heard of worse things). But setting your signal chain up the way you have it is just kind of goofy.

chessrock said:
Yea, it sucks, because you're doing it wrong. A Sansamp pedal is exactly as the name implies; it is to be used as a direct-in recording method "SANS" amplifier.

Sans=without. The dictionary is your friend.

If you feel like a renegade and want to break all the rules, then go crazy and insert the pedal between your guitar and amplifier (that will likely suck, too, but I've heard of worse things). But setting your signal chain up the way you have it is just kind of goofy.

Thanks.
I think I will direct plug the guitar to GT2 or using mic->pmp3->soundcard, to see which is better.

Sorry one more question here........
Is the below setting break the rule?

Guitar ->GT2 ->DPM3->Soundcard, because my experience is when direct plug guitar to GT2, it is quite noisy, DMP3 is a pre-amp with very low noise and quite. So, I wonder can I do that.

Thanks to all!

heaven said:
Guitar ->GT2 ->DPM3->Soundcard, because my experience is when direct plug guitar to GT2, it is quite noisy, DMP3 is a pre-amp with very low noise and quite. So, I wonder can I do that.

Thanks to all!
The dpm3 is just a preamp. It has low self noise, but it will amplify the noise of the GT2. If the GT2 outputs a line level signal, just plug your guitar into it and it into the line input of your soundcard.

The dpm3 is a preamp. It is designed to take mic level signals (from your mic) and boost them to line level signals.

The GT2 is a direct box with distortion (amp simulation). It takes your guitar signal and makes it sound like you are playing through a guitar amp while boosting the signal to line level.

You can plug the GT2 into your guitar amp and use it as a distortion box. You should have your amp set clean. This works fine with some amps and bad with others.

If you are going to use an amp: Plug the guitar into the amp, stick a mic in front of the speakes, plug the mic into the dpm3 and the dpm3 into the line input of the soundcard.

If you are going to use the GT2: Plug the guitar into the GT2 and the Gt2 into the line input of the soundcard.

Back