Which set should I keep ?...

gilwe

I just "cleaned" up two vintage drum sets from some guy -

The first is a vintage Maxwin (by Pearl) set, including 4 pieces and a snare,
all original. The floor tom has missing legs and the 14" tom lacks the arm to connet it with the bass drum. No kick pedal, snare stand or cymbals.

The second is a 3 piece Premier (England) set from the 60s (or 70s ?) -
bass, floor and tom. The arm connecting the tom and the bass it there,
but no legs or arm for the floor tom.

I got them all for 200$ !!

I wish to complete one of the sets. Which one of them would you rather keep ? The Maxin sounds very "vintage", reminds me Nick Mason's set on "Echoes"... But the Premier sounds tighter. None of the drums is tuned though.

Last edited:
The Premiers!

Watch Ebay, join some drum forums (Ghostnote, Drumshed, Drumsmith) are three that I "inhabit", learn more about the particular kit and be on the lookout for suitable parts to get the kit playable.

:cool:

Thanks, I see that all of you prefer the Premiers... Will they suit the Maxwin snare though ? Also, what about the missing 14" tom, are they radily available ? Keep in mind that I play rock, not jazz...

I suspect we all agree on Premier because Maxim is a lower line model. It is very common (in fact more than likely) that most drummers use a snare that did not come with a kit (most companies don't ship quality snares with kits because drummers normally seek out a snare that they like) - so using the Maxim snare should not be a problem (if you like the Maxim snare)

It can be very difficult to match older shells - so trying to add a matching drum to the Premiers could be very difficult. Premier is a British company and in the 60's they were not very common in the US.

I don't know where you are from, but finding an older Premier tom would likely be easier in the UK - but it could still be hard.

mikeh said:
I suspect we all agree on Premier because Maxim is a lower line model. It is very common (in fact more than likely) that most drummers use a snare that did not come with a kit (most companies don't ship quality snares with kits because drummers normally seek out a snare that they like) - so using the Maxim snare should not be a problem (if you like the Maxim snare)
Right, I play Mapex Saturns, but my main snare is a 6x13 Tama, which cost considerably less then the Mapex snare, but is sonically superior to my ears. And keep the Premiers.

Here is a great link-site for replacement parts (From GhostNotes): http://ghostnote.net/links/

BTW, how much should I ask for the Premiers in case I want to sell it ?

AFAIK this set if from late 60s early 70s...

Back