Which recording software is best for capturing acoustic instruments?

mikerofone

Are there meaningful differences in how the different software packages capture the true sound of acoustic instruments? For example, using the same mic, will Pro Tools capture the sound of a great Martin guitar any better than Cubase or Cakewalk will? Or are the differences subtle? I use Cubase Essential 5, but I always hear what I call "digital brittle"-- a bit of a hard edge even with lush acoustic guitars recorded with nice mics (a Neumann KM184 for example). I wonder if I upgraded to Pro Tools if the recording would be any warmer, or not.

Any opinions/experiences to offer?

Processing aside - The captured signal has everything to do with the source an input chain - And nothing to do with the software.

The microphone(s), recording technique and environment, and the audio interface (assuming you are using the preamps in the interface) are the key components to the sound.

Aside from the instrument and how it's played the most important factor in the recording process is microphone selection and placement. The preamp is the next most important part of the chain. Conversion has an even smaller effect unless you use the wrong settings. Software has essentially no effect on the recording.

The software doesn't have a single thing to do with how the it sounds going into your computer. As the others said, Microphone, pre-amps, other outboard equipment, and the interface are the only things that are going to effect actual sound in your signal.

The differences between your DAWs (software) are very subtle in most. They all do the same thing, most with the same features. Some have extras only found in that software, but at their core they all do the same thing.

People will swear by this or that. It's more about the layouts and how easy to use they are. Cubase (IMO) has a steeper learning curve than Reaper would. They do the same thing, but one is harder for "ME" to use.

The software itself should not make any difference at all (though it does keep coming up that Samplitude sounds better than the others).

The most important thing is the mic., the mic. pre-amp. and the ADC.

I'd actually be interested to see some real research on how/if the various recording programs color the sound.

Yes they're not supposed to change the signal when capturing it raw, but that doesn't mean they don't!

You'd probably need 3 trials for every program: one at minimum recommended hardware specs, one at average specs, and one with a superlatively good system to see how latency, dropped samples, etc. affect it.

But either way, is this not always going to be and remain the 'unanswerable question' due to the inherent subjectivity and bias that resides within the human being ?

:yawn: :p :D

Back