Which Preamp For Sm7b?

GmanJeff

The SM7b is always described as needing lots of gain. It's not clear to me from previous threads exactly which preamps have been successfully used with this mic. I'm considering units in the price range of the Grace Solo 101 (non-ribbon version; would the hi-gain ribbon version be unsuitable for use with condensers?) or the True P-Solo (which appears to have a bit more gain available than the Grace). Has anyone had experience with either of these, or with other similarly priced single or dual channel preamps, and the SM7b?

The P-Solo has 64dB of gain. The 101 has 70dB of gain with extended gain that's available.

When using the SM7 you'll have situations where you'll need all the clean gain you've got. That extra 6dB on the 101 might be just what you need. Although, in most cases either one will work fine.

But, IMO, sonically, the 101 is superior to the P-Solo. I think the 101 is one of the few mid-level pres that's actually worth the money.

Dot said:
The P-Solo has 64dB of gain. The 101 has 70dB of gain with extended gain that's available.
Looks like the stock P-Solo might have 70dB of gain.

We were just testing a lot of mics, and using a 72dB-gain A Designs Pacifica. When we put up the SM7 we still could get it to the level of all the other mics we recorded, even with the Pacifica wide open. So, whatever you get, I'd highly recommend at least 70dB of gain.

Last edited:
The mic/preamp will be used for not-particularly-strong male baritone vocals, in pop, rock, and folk styles, in a large untreated but finished basement. I'd like the preamp to be usable with condensers in the future, as I gain more skill and upgrade equipment over time. I'm thinking of a RNC, too.

The P-Solo is said to have 16 to 64 db of gain, while the 101 specs out at 10 - 60 db for the standard version, and 20 - 70 db for the hi-gain version designed for use with ribbon mics. True is coming out with a hi-gain P-Solo, but it won't have phantom power, and so wouldn't be usable with most condensers. Would there be any disadvantage to the hi-gain 101, with the 20-70 db range, when using less gain-hungry mics in the future?

GmanJeff said:
Would there be any disadvantage to the hi-gain 101, with the 20-70 db range, when using less gain-hungry mics in the future?

Yes, when using high output mics on loud sources, such as a TLM103 or various Earthworks mics as drum overheads as an example. That would almost certainly overload your preamp if +20dB was the lowest you could go.

Many modern condensers have a very hot output, so it should definately be taken into consideration. The SM7 is well worth all this hassle though. It is a great mic by any standard.

Stefan Elmblad said:
Yes, when using high output mics on loud sources, such as a TLM103 or various Earthworks mics as drum overheads as an example. That would almost certainly overload your preamp if +20dB was the lowest you could go.

An inline mic pad might be able to solve that problem.

sl

Thanks for all the input so far - does anyone know of an appropriate preamp in the $400 - $600 range which has a wider gain range, say maybe 10 db to 70 db? It would seem that such a specification would provide the most flexibility for the future.

big fan of the safe sound p1 which gives you 70db and a swell compressor/limiter/expander section
also big fan of the chameleon labs 7602 which gives you 70db (knob actually appears to go higher, but you'll inevitably get overdrive (but that sounds really cool on some stuff), plus a bitchin' eq

kojdogg said:
big fan of the safe sound p1 which gives you 70db and a swell compressor/limiter/expander section
also big fan of the chameleon labs 7602 which gives you 70db (knob actually appears to go higher, but you'll inevitably get overdrive (but that sounds really cool on some stuff), plus a bitchin' eq
HolyCow, there's one sittin in my rack and I forgot about it! The safe sound is a great option at that price and it has an absolutely wonderful limiter (comp is ok too)

GmanJeff said:
The mic/preamp will be used for not-particularly-strong male baritone vocals, in pop, rock, and folk styles, in a large untreated but finished basement. I'd like the preamp to be usable with condensers in the future, as I gain more skill and upgrade equipment over time. I'm thinking of a RNC, too.

The P-Solo is said to have 16 to 64 db of gain, while the 101 specs out at 10 - 60 db for the standard version, and 20 - 70 db for the hi-gain version designed for use with ribbon mics. True is coming out with a hi-gain P-Solo, but it won't have phantom power, and so wouldn't be usable with most condensers. Would there be any disadvantage to the hi-gain 101, with the 20-70 db range, when using less gain-hungry mics in the future?

I have that mic and have had no problems using my FMR RNP with a RNC or RNLA inserted. Also works fine with my Great River. I really have to crank both units, but either channel is clean enough that I do not wind up with noise problems.

You will love that mic.

Make some music!

Back