Which pre amp should I get?

openminded

I'm going to be doing male voice overs with my Blue Blueberry mic and I need a great pre amp. It'll be going into a RME Babyface.

I'm stuck between the Warm Audio WA12 and the Golden Age Pre73. Which of these would you guys recommend? Since both the Babyface and Blueberry are transparent, I'd like to add a little bit of color and warmth to my sound.

I know the Golden Age is warm and so is the WA12, but which is better in terms of quality and performance?

Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited:
You do know you need a lunchbox to make Neve work, right?
However if you already got lunchbox and money is no issue go with the Neve. :)

IMHO the Babyface pres are going to be easily good enough especially with a capacitor mic with a transformerless output.
But yes, if you want a bit of character the Neve is the bizz. Do not forget however that once "warmed up" there is no going back!

Dave.

Oh jeez, I didn't know you needed a lunchbox for the Neve. Can't get that right now. :p

Okay, so for self powered pre amps, what would you guys recommend for adding a bit of warmth/character to the male voice?

Another recommendation for the GA pre73 here. I haven't used the other pres you talked about though. The pre73 is capable of adding some nice warmth and it's always satisfied my tastes.

Back