which of these pre mic is better use???

tribal

PreSonus BlueTube DP Stereo Microphone Preamp (or) Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain? the price are differ about $50, I would take PreSonus if it has more quality.. ta

In that price range I'd just get the DMP3 and be done with it. Search for comments on the Blue Tube here. IMHO, with the exception perhaps of the EH unit, "tube" gear at this price point is marketing hype. If you want a tube pre, the GT Brick is essentially entry level and, after that, you can expect to pay at least $700 or more for anything of reasonable quality -- the discontinued AMR (Peavey) VMP-2) or a Sebatron.

Here's one comparative thread:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=217913&highlight=blue+tube

would M Audio DMP3 add any warm sound? I just basically look for a preamp for mics to add warmth sound for the vocal. tas

the DMP3 is considered very clean. it probably wouldn't add any "warmth" to your signal. but the 12AY7 would be "warm". it's got a couple tubes in there, and it's not a cheap starved-plate design...it's the real deal. i've never heard it personally, but the talk on the net is very good. if you need one warm channel on the cheap, i get you can't beat the EH 12AY7.

EDIT: speaking of the DMP3, visit the following site and vote for the DMP3 giveaway. vote for me, if you like!:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=3023327&posted=1#post3023327

No the DMP3 does not add warmth. It is basically a wire with gain. What you put into it is what you get out of it.

If you want mojo in this bracket the I'd go for the Electro Harmonix.

Another +1 for the DMP3. Or you could try the Studio Projects VTB1 - it has a tube blend option that colours your sound. Both in a similar budget range.

DMP3 is the better of the two IMO. Also, why would you want to warm/colour your sound at input? Record clean as possible and fiddle afterwards is a better way to get the sound you want.

I just felt that in my recording I misses warmth sound for the vocal , and I dont know what plugins I would use for it, I m using cubase sx 3, and plus I m going to use my system for live performance as well so, my mixer(Alesis multimix 16 f/w) dont have much of pres. I was thinking of getting PreSonus BlueTube DP Stereo Microphone Preamp (or) Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain, and now I m more confusing :P . These are the price that I could afford to buy :(. Nonetheless thanks for the threads guys. Ta V

would M Audio DMP3 add any warm sound? I just basically look for a preamp for mics to add warmth sound for the vocal. tas
You won't find tube "warmth" in that price range...

I also agree that your entry level for tube preamps would be the GT Brick... anything under that generally uses a low voltage circuit in parrallel with the primary audio path. This just inserts distortion into the signal chain. To realize real "warmth" (argh!!... I hate saying that) you need a high voltage tube in the amplification stage to impart the harmonic distortion on the source signal, not add it later from a sample of the source.

And I'd be neglect in not adding that a tube does not necessarily define warmth... the whole circuit does that, transformers in particular can have more impact on the sonic character of a preamp. Discete components vs. solid state... the list goes on...

anything under that generally uses a low voltage circuit in parrallel with the primary audio path. This just inserts distortion into the signal chain. To realize real "warmth" (argh!!... I hate saying that) you need a high voltage tube in the amplification stage to impart the harmonic distortion on the source signal, not add it later from a sample of the source.

not the EH 12AY7. it's in the same price range as the Behringer and the PreSonus, but it's a real-deal, 200v tube preamp for little scratch.

I also agree that your entry level for tube preamps would be the GT Brick... anything under that generally uses a low voltage circuit in parrallel with the primary audio path. This just inserts distortion into the signal chain. To realize real "warmth" (argh!!... I hate saying that) you need a high voltage tube in the amplification stage to impart the harmonic distortion on the source signal, not add it later from a sample of the source.

And I'd be neglect in not adding that a tube does not necessarily define warmth... the whole circuit does that, transformers in particular can have more impact on the sonic character of a preamp. Discete components vs. solid state... the list goes on...

What he said. Tubes don't necessarily add "warmth." I have some higher end tube preamps and I wouldn't characterize them as warm. Hifi maybe, but not warm. Most of the "warm" sound you hear in popular music comes from transformers in solid state preamps (like Neve - to name the best known example). Gear vendors are using the "warmth" buzzword as a marketing gimmick to get you to buy a cheap starved plate design tube pre that simply adds some distortion to your sound to thicken it up a bit. For the most part, they don't sound very good, especially when you start stacking tracks.

Personally, I'd skip buying a cheap toob preamp and spend the money on a decent solid state unit and improving your microphones (which will have a bigger impact on your sound anyway). For example, a decent ribbon mic or high end dynamic mic might get you closer to the sound you want.

"warmth" comes from quality. It has nothing to do with tubes. A good tube circuit is just as clean as a good solid state one. Don't believe the marketing.
If you want warmth without spending thousands of dollars per channel, stick with solid state.

The DMP-3 does not suck. It's a solid journeyman preamp.

But, for a bit more depth and a bit of color, it is hard to beat the ART MPA... cruize ebay for a while, and you may pick one up in your price range. Swap out the stock tubes for some JJ/Teslas on the cheap and it will sound mighty fine for the dough.

PreSonus BlueTube DP Stereo Microphone Preamp (or) Behringer T1953 Tube Ultragain? the price are differ about $50, I would take PreSonus if it has more quality.. ta

your 2 choices are terrible preamps.

that being said, if the quest was for a good cheap preamp, i'd be on the dmp3 bandwagon in a second (i own 2 of them), but since you're looking for "warmth," i have to go with the vtb-1 on a budget. i use it for vox all the time, and dig its versatility.

if you're really stuck on those 2, i'd go with the presonus, but that's not saying much. it sounds slightly better than the art tube mp, which sounds simply awful.

good luck! :)

what about focusrite twin trak pro? I am watching these on ebay? Anyone got recommendation for this? As said it is for the vox. ta. V

what about focusrite twin trak pro? I am watching these on ebay? Anyone got recommendation for this? As said it is for the vox. ta. V

I used to have the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro and this was an ok preamp. I sold it a while back and now have a M-Audio Tampa and I'm really impressed with this preamp! I definitely prefer it over the Focusrite Platinum stuff.

Line6 UX2 will essentially beat anything in that price range at $200...dmp3 is an OK choice if you just want a wire with gain...but you will get all the warmth without the noise from the Line6 preamp...and it solves your direct in problems too.

In my experience the EH 12ay7 breaks up too early to make it very practical for vox. I like it on guitar sometimes but it is what it is. A cheap pre. If low cost 'warmth' is what you need I would look at adding FX in the box or buying a used rack verb.

A tube pre is wonderful (I am partial to UA stuff) and you should save your $$$ until you can buy something great in the used market. In the meantime you can use FX as a workaround while you keep building your gear piggybank. jmho and ymmv

Back