Which of these mics is according to your opinion the best for bassdrum?

Which of the following is the best for an allround bassdrum sound?

• Beta 52

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • ATM 25

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • E 602

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
This poll sucks.

Indeed, because of what Dot said, and because there are a lot of people who just tried one or two of the above mics and just fill in that one. And because there are a lot more good mics for kick. blahblah.

That would depend. What does the kick sound where you record? What sound are you going for? Does the drummer have a heavy foot or what? It depends.

Ok, forgot about that. It's at first for myself but I want to record other kits after I know a bit more about recording drums. My bassdrum is made from maple and has a very deep/low sound and especially in the room I am recording because all the walls have curtains.
So I want a sound with not only attack but also with a lot of low frequency.
Hope this gives you a better view about my wanted sound.

Marc

You forgot the mic I'd vote for, and that's the AKG D-112. If you're stuck on the mics you've listed, then my second choice would be the Beta 52. This is based upon the description of your bass drum. I haven't tried the E602, but the ATM25 sounds very thin IMHO.

Kid, I tend to agree with your impression of the 25. I used one for a weekend and that was my impression also. I know a lot of folks here swear by them though.

Sickmelvin said:
Beta 52
ATM 25
E 602

(no other mics please)

Are you going buy the mic that wins this poll without hearing all three mic's for yourself on your kick drum? If so, my vote is for the pretty one.

....THIN????...ATM25???? youse guys must be talkin about the PRO25.....BIG BIG differance..........very different mic........

yeah this poll cant be taken.....the ATM 25 is the best mic for lows you've listed....but there are so many more

Ok, which one would you recommend that has about the same price as the others??? (or 25 dollars/euros more or less).

And the d112 isn't listed because I have a shell set with a price tag round about 8000 dollars which means I want the sound from the kit and not from the mic. A d112 has in my opinion way to much eq.

Marc

Sickmelvin said:
Ok, which one would you recommend that has about the same price as the others??? (or 25 dollars/euros more or less).

And the d112 isn't listed because I have a shell set with a price tag round about 8000 dollars which means I want the sound from the kit and not from the mic. A d112 has in my opinion way to much eq.

Marc

In that case, none, or any :-)D) of the above. Finding a good placement outside the kick, tuning the kick, and the room, will get you what you're after.

Of the ones listed, I preferr the B52. I hven't heard the 603 though. But I do own and use the B52 and the ATM25. I will agree the ATM25 sounds thin. Not because of a lack of low end, but more in the way the mids sound and how it captures the attack of the drum. I usually don't bother with it unless I want some sort of "dirty" kick sound, or experiment with it on a guitar cabinet. The B-52 is versitle in my opinion, i love it on floor toms especially, and is passable on a bass cab.

What style of music are you recording? Like the other guys said, it's a bit on the difficult side to recommend a mic without knowing what you're playing.

Another thing to consider : why don't you just rent the three mics for a weekend that you mentioned, and then decide? All three of those mics are available in my area for $15 per day... you could call it an inexpensive insurance policy...

Guys.......my topic was named "What is the best ALLROUND.....".
I want a mic that is versitle.
If you must know, I won't use it for things as jazz but the most other styles will be recorded with it.
Personally the bassdrumsound that I like very much is that on "Busted Stuff" from Dave Matthews Band and not the "hit a big piece of meat" sound pantera has.

Bye the way, renting is a good idea but I try a store with a good return policy first.

Thanks

Marc

Can't remember model number, but a guy who sold all makes/models of microphones suggested that the Beyer kick drum mic was way better than the AKG D112, and a bit cheaper! He said it was an unknow gem!

Track down a place that sells a few kick drum mics and test a couple.

Sorry I can't be of any real help, but I've never recorded a kick drum!

Speeddemon said:
Dude, you listen to DMB??? :eek:
You're a wuss! ;)

Marc, sell one rack-tom of that Mapex kit, and get yourself a RE-20. ;)

Yes I listen to DMB and that makes me a wuss?? Well at least I don't own dream theater cd's.

And about the rack-tom thing....I don't think anyone has a drumkit matching my drumkits colour.

Crap. These forums/polls sometimes are just so silly.
The truth is almost every aspect of sound production
and tools are plainly subjective. Oh well, here we go...

WHAT'S THE BEST ALL AROUND? Everyone will find
their own favorite. Get your own. Test drive some
that get mentioned here alot. That is one of the best tests
you can do before actually renting or borrowing some.

I am one of those guys who swears by an ATM25.
Is it thin? To some people. Not to me. So what.
I feel it's the consumate no brainer kick mic. I get good to
great all around results on almost any kick. But then there's
placement, condition of the kick, beater type, dampening
and above all... How good is the drummer. I did a small indie
band a while back, and had the kit sounding absolutely great.
Then we added the drummer. This Kat sucked. All that
work for nothing. No one could have cared less about
the kick mic at that point.

But I also have a good friend who is a true studio pro,
that likes to screw around with 57's in a kick, depending
on his client/project. He recorded tracks that were just incredible
and I just had to know what he used. He just smile and said
"ye ol trusty 57" with a grin. Some people just know the
limitations of their gear. And "that" is what it's all about.
There are no truly magic mics out there... just people who
learn the ones they have. Be one of those people.

Guess this just hit me at a time when all this "what's the best..."
crap is getting a little old. Maybe I just need an enema & a
good cup of Kona coffee.

Later
Bob

Back