Which NOTEBOOKS do artists use?

lyricist

Is there somewhere i can find out which notebooks artists use for recording???

I did find this:

"He released his most recent CD, Limited Edition, in the spring. Twelve of the 13 songs were recorded and mixed on his laptop. He explains that he has a Dell laptop that Dell "graciously gave me for evaluation." He does most of the work using $299 software from Adobe called Audition, which used to be Cool Edit Pro before Adobe bought it."

Anyone know anything about artists and their laptops or where i can find this information? Not on any specific artist either....be it recording regularly or live recording..

Im still trying to find a notebook for myself and it would be cool to see what some of the big names are using.

To be honest i woudl bet that a lot of the more well known artists are using powerbooks. I base that on what i have seen on the propellerheads reason forum. It seems to be more talked about than pc laptops. Personally i would get a pc but that is just me. I think if you are gonna go that route, finding a laptop shouldn't be that difficult. they are more standard than desktops that isfor sure.

Everyone says "Mix on the plane." :rolleyes:

You don't MIX on a plane. You EDIT on a plane. Completely different!

;)

Done that. You can also work on arangements while travelling, or compose stuff with a keyboard program (turns your keys into...well, keys) and softsynths.

Macs are still more prevalant in the Pro field. Every time I find myself backstage somewhere its all shiney white and silver macs. Even the catering crew has macs.

The real answer to the question "What laptop do artists use" is the one they want and can afford. I have both mac and PC- its no big deal. Macs go their foothold in creative stuff when PC's couldn't do it anyway. And now there is a momentum and familiarity to macs for the folks who have been using them for years. At the moment it doesn't really matter what you use- unless there is a program of plugin you MUST have that only works on one platform.

-C

Im still trying to find a notebook for myself and it would be cool to see what some of the big names are using.

Why do you care? Do you only buy instruments big names use also? Is that the only criteria you base your decisions on? Do you not decide what would be best for you?

lyricist said:
What exactly is so good about macs? i dont get it.

The hardware is physically built differently. I'm not sure the specifics of how it works, but they just tend to do better for editing most media (video, audio, etc.) It probably has something to do with the assembly language that macs use.

VomitHatSteve said:
The hardware is physically built differently. I'm not sure the specifics of how it works, but they just tend to do better for editing most media (video, audio, etc.) It probably has something to do with the assembly language that macs use.

Umm... OK.

lyricist said:
What exactly is so good about macs? i dont get it.

Some people like the user interface and the workflow of Macs, others like Windows. Both platforms are quite capable of doing whatever it is you want to do.

Mac vs Win war avoided :)

VomitHatSteve said:

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't try explaining it.

Apple is considered to be a more stable platform because they control the hardware and OS thus ensuring software runs smoothly. Apple makes their own computers unlike the PC side where you have multiple companies/choices/combinations of hardware that need to be accounted for by the OS which can result in hardware/software conflicts.

I discount the claim that Apple's are better for A/V work. Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere and Cakewalk Sonar all give FCP and Logic a run for their money.

Any claim that Apple systems outperform PC's is completely untrue. Apple will migrate to Intel processors in 2006 and will stop using IBM manufactured processors (G4,G5). I don't think they would be doing that if they didn't think Intel processors offered superior performance.

While OS X is a very nice, streamlined OS, Windows has come a long way with XP.

Any claims that OS X is better because it is based on Unix are factually wrong and show the igonorance of the person making that claim. All NT based OS'es from Microsoft (NT 4.0, 2000 and XP) have nothing in common with the older DOS based OS (Windows 95,98,ME) and share a lineage with IBM's now defunct OS/2 OS. OS X is simply a port of the NetBSD distribution of Unix with a pretty UI on top.

Like I said, Macs gained a foothold in the professional world back when PC's were unstable pieces of crap. Thinks Windows 3.1 and 95, folks.

Just because PC and Macs are about the same now (OSX and XP are both very stable op. systems) doesn't mean that Macs aren't still generally viewed as better for pro audio and video. If you've been using Macs for the last 10 years and work in a culture of people that has been slamming PC's for 10 years, would you be eager to risk your livelyhood on what you percieve is a buggy, virus prone lemon?

At the moment, actually, if you're looking for a high performance laptop you'd be crazy to buy a Mac. PC laptops run circles around the G4's- Mac's only competitive line (in terms of performance) is the G5- particularly the dual G5. Oh, the PB G4's are really nice and I love mine, but the same money would buy you a *screaming* PC.

This is all a long way of saying "If you buy a laptop because Billy Joe Pop Star uses the same model!" you may not be getting what you really need. Who know why B.J. uses that model!

Take care,
Chris

if mobility is yoru game, i think a centrino based pc is the way to go. i personally like pc's better though. acer, dell, ibm, even hp all make nice audio production capable systems.

brzilian said:

Apple is considered to be a more stable platform because they control the hardware and OS thus ensuring software runs smoothly. Apple makes their own computers unlike the PC side where you have multiple companies/choices/combinations of hardware that need to be accounted for by the OS which can result in hardware/software conflicts.

I discount the claim that Apple's are better for A/V work. Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere and Cakewalk Sonar all give FCP and Logic a run for their money.

Any claim that Apple systems outperform PC's is completely untrue. Apple will migrate to Intel processors in 2006 and will stop using IBM manufactured processors (G4,G5). I don't think they would be doing that if they didn't think Intel processors offered superior performance.

While OS X is a very nice, streamlined OS, Windows has come a long way with XP.

Any claims that OS X is better because it is based on Unix are factually wrong and show the igonorance of the person making that claim. All NT based OS'es from Microsoft (NT 4.0, 2000 and XP) have nothing in common with the older DOS based OS (Windows 95,98,ME) and share a lineage with IBM's now defunct OS/2 OS. OS X is simply a port of the NetBSD distribution of Unix with a pretty UI on top.

Somebody's obviously not a fan of Apple and their products. :p

The "big names" are almost all using Powerbooks, from what I've read. Usually, the "big names" aren't so keen on technology, so it's easier for them to get everything together on a Mac because the software interacts with each other so well. In my experience, a PC runs faster and is cheaper, but the difference are slimming down. Unfortunately, I've had nothing but problems with my PC (home-made tower). It does run more software (a LOT more software), but all you need for audio production is found on the Mac. Used solely as a computer for audio, either is a good choice, but I'd recommend a Mac because of its ease of use. Just my two Lincolns.

I used my first Mac in 1988. Since 1995, I've used only Macs including a Performa, a G2 225 MHz, a G4 450 MHz, two i-books (G3 and G4), a flat panel i-mac g4 800 MHz, and two i-mac g5's. If you think they are trouble-free, you've either been lucky or haven't had one for long enough.

brzilian said:

(snip)

You should take your own advice. Mac OS X contains very, very little from NetBSD---maybe a handful of userland bits, but not many. The kernel is based on a mixture of NeXT's 4.2BSD-derived (presumably Lites) code, FreeBSD, and Mach 3 (from CMU by way of OSF), and has been so heavily rewritten that large portions barely resemble their heritage.

brzilian said:
Why do you care? Do you only buy instruments big names use also? Is that the only criteria you base your decisions on? Do you not decide what would be best for you?
lol stfu k?

Ive been laptop searching for a few months, i would like to possibly go with an Asus but i dont think there is one out yet that sounds right for me..so now I have no idea what to be looking at. I figure if big names use it to record they must be somewhat sturdy and would like to hear of some brands and look into it. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with "omg omg!!11 tee heee!! he uses this so im going to get it!!@111 OMG!!11111111" though at the same time i also understand just because a "big name" uses it doesnt mean it is a good product. they are simply musicians who make a choice in what to get.. then find out if it is good from that point on. same thing i am going to have to do.

Im into the christian music scene, if anyone even offers any information on what artists use, im 98% sure i will have NO CLUE who the artist is. I could care less who the artist is, what band theyre in, how popular they are, etc. Im just curious to what is being used out there i've tried asking what ppl on THIS BOARD use and got LITTLE no NO replies. So I figure maybe some people out there who ARE interested in what their favorite band uses may be able to offer up some knowledge regarding the question.

If it bothers you then get out of the thread. :)

have a nice day!

minofifa said:
if mobility is yoru game, i think a centrino based pc is the way to go. i personally like pc's better though. acer, dell, ibm, even hp all make nice audio production capable systems.
Well, im definitely going to stick with PC...and yes i have definitely decided to go with centrino

though just recently i heard that AMD's are better for audio recording.

im just trying to find a brand with specs that fit what i feel i need.

i just want a trusted brand.. I wonder what others tend to use.

i know a lot of artists down in nashville are on apples' but im a PC user.

i almost got a sager but heard of too many HD crashes. i want a brand that is basically built to last..and one that will give me what i need. i guess im just scared of buying the wrong thing!

lyricist said:
Well, im definitely going to stick with PC...and yes i have definitely decided to go with centrino

though just recently i heard that AMD's are better for audio recording.
i guess im just scared of buying the wrong thing!
Erm ... can I just feed back to you that that makes no sense at all? :confused:

Geeez, just buy a half-decent laptop with a half-decent spec and you'll be fine. If you're not buying a mac, PCs are all much of a muchness anyway once you get the specs right.

Chris Shaeffer said:
Like I said, Macs gained a foothold in the professional world back when PC's were unstable pieces of crap. Thinks Windows 3.1 and 95, folks.

Just because PC and Macs are about the same now (OSX and XP are both very stable op. systems) doesn't mean that Macs aren't still generally viewed as better for pro audio and video. If you've been using Macs for the last 10 years and work in a culture of people that has been slamming PC's for 10 years, would you be eager to risk your livelyhood on what you percieve is a buggy, virus prone lemon?

At the moment, actually, if you're looking for a high performance laptop you'd be crazy to buy a Mac. PC laptops run circles around the G4's- Mac's only competitive line (in terms of performance) is the G5- particularly the dual G5. Oh, the PB G4's are really nice and I love mine, but the same money would buy you a *screaming* PC.

This is all a long way of saying "If you buy a laptop because Billy Joe Pop Star uses the same model!" you may not be getting what you really need. Who know why B.J. uses that model!

Take care,
Chris
Thanks for the info :)

and in regards to your last sentence..yes i agree. and when i posted this i thought "oh no i hope i dont sound like im trying to buy notebooks just because so and so has it"

if that were the case i would go and research a particular artists and find out what their using

im moreso wondering cos i know some artists do live recording on notebooks now adays..and i figure..its gotta be pretty decent brand to rely on it.

Like i said in an earlier post i guess i just want a laptop brand that is going to be dependable. idont want to turn it on one day and it wont boot up u know?

i dont want to be recording on it and the thing just stops.

im old enough to be making my own decisions..i dont follow what celebrities are doing. and i hate celebrity gossip. and when it comes to notebooks i will customize it in a way i feel meets my needs. but when it comes to a trusted PC brand in the music industry i guess i am just at a loss!

so that brought me to wonder "hm i wonder what THEY use"... though as a musician myself i dont see "THEM" as anything special. just people whom i would assume should be using some kind of trusted company.

noisedude said:
Erm ... can I just feed back to you that that makes no sense at all? :confused:

Geeez, just buy a half-decent laptop with a half-decent spec and you'll be fine. If you're not buying a mac, PCs are all much of a muchness anyway once you get the specs right.
How didnt that make sense?

let me know and i can reiterate it.

and from my side this is nothing to "geez". you might want to know that i have ALREADY bought the WRONG LAPTOP ONCE. it didnt work for me AT ALL. i sold it.

if i make the wrong mistake again i have no one to sell it to. im not going to dish out 1-2grand on the wrong notebook. ding ding ding

luckily for me my friend was abotu to buy the exact same laptop anyway..and she took it off my hands :D

Back