Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weber - other, please explain

• Eminence - other, please explain

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Jensen - other, please explain

• Total voters
If all my sound was dependant on a single 12" speaker it would have to be a Celestion Blue Alnico speaker. It just does not get better than that. And since it's just one speaker you have to buy, you can spend the extra jack for it.

H2H

H2H:

Not alot of us can fork out $300 for one of those dream speakers.
The speaker would be worth more than my amp!

I'll mention my combo is 30 watts and I'm having difficulty
choosing between the Vintage 30(60 watts) and Greenback(25 watts)

The greenback will not need alot of power for breakup while the vintage 30 is more common for todays sound.

Bring on your thoughts people. This forum is sleeping!

does celestion have a website that i can order from?

and why the blue alnico? (i don't know my speaker history)

i hear everyone rave about the v30's and greenbacks.

Last edited:
MesaHead said:
does celestion have a website that i can order from?
I believe Celestion doesn't handle the sales themselves -- pretty sure they just work through distributers. Musician's Friend and Sam Ash offer most of the speakers you're looking for, and if not, there's always Ebay.

where to buy

Whatever speaker you decide to go with - order it from avatarspeakers.com - they'll beat anyones price. I think they even have the Alnico Blues for around $160...........

The Greenback is supposed to be ideally suited to blues style. I have one in my 1x12 and I like it a lot for jazz to classic rock type tones, but my experiences with them in is that they get kind of fuzzy sounding in high gain settings and might not be agressive enough for metal styes. I found the Vintage 30 to be a bit too gritty/edgy sounding for my tastes, at least with my amp.

Note the Greenbacks are only 25 Watts...

Vintage 30 for Metal... much harder edged... when driven just right it can deliver a modern rich distortion... breaks up later than a Greenback, but when it does break up it's excellent

Greenbacks for 70/80's distortion... softer breakup and scooped... thinner distortion (not bad just older sounding distortion)... breaks up much sooner than a Vintage 30 due to Wattage and ALNICO magnet

Not to make things more difficult, but have you considered the G12H 30 watt speaker. It is supposed to be voiced somewhere in between the Vintage 30 and the Greenback.

Back