Which Neve Clone Pre,...Vintech, Brent Averill, or Dan Alexander?

sinnerx96

Hi guys,

I'm concidering one of these 3 units. I hear the Dan Alexander has a bit of a more aggressive charater, and it's Cheaper, but is Poor in Build quality. I've heard That the Vintech and Brent Averill are Very similar and have great build quality, but 2 channels of Vintech is about the same price as 1 channel of Brent Averill. What do you guys think about these units? The Dan Alexander sounds very promising, sound and price wise,...But $1100 is too much for me to chance a poorly built unit. So I'm kinda leaning towards the Vintech. The only difference I see between the Brent Averill and the Vintech is that Brent uses ALL original Neve parts. But Vintech actually has the same company, that made the old Neve stuff, working for them and making the parts. Opinions on this stuff? Thanx Alot.

I concidered those,...But the others I mentioned are thought to be more Colored, which is what I'm looking for. An aggressive sound loaded with character that favors Rock/Metal for guitars.

I dont know much about Dans stuff but the Brent racks IMHO are better then the Vintech gear who with all due respect still sounds to me to be a lower quality then the original. Still its a good piece of gear.

I think Brent uses his name to overcharge a bit but bottom line is he delivers and the rack will hold a better value in the future.

Yea, I think you're confusing the MP2-NV with the regular MP2, Sinner.

They're 2 totally different pres. The MP2 is totally transparent, while the NV version has color galore. And from the research I've done (both at rec.audio.pro and several magazine reviews), the Great River MP2-NV is generally thought to be the superior one of the Neve clones (sounds closest to the original).

Shailat said:
I dont know much about Dans stuff but the Brent racks IMHO are better then the Vintech gear who with all due respect still sounds to me to be a lower quality then the original. Still its a good piece of gear.

I think Brent uses his name to overcharge a bit but bottom line is he delivers and the rack will hold a better value in the future.
Yeah, I agree.
I have a couple of things racked by Brent. The man does a fantastic job!

Thanx Alot guys. I spoke with someone at Brent Averill, and someone at Vintech. I think I'm going with the Vintech. All of the people I've talked to that Own/used both say that they are both equal in build quality. And there's not really a noticeable difference in sound between them. Not that it matters,...I dont need an Exact replica of a Neve. What I'm looking for happens to fall into this category. I've heard nothing but stellar opinions of the quality of the Vintechs. If anything,...I'ver heard that they would hold up better, being that they use new parts from the actual neve company who works for them. Supposedly alot of the Neve clones get their parts from this company through Vintech. And they Both Hold their Value respectively. The MP2-NV is something I'll be looking into as well now. :) Thanx.

Should I get the BMW or the Mercedes?
Hehe, either way, you're going to enjoy it. Congrats on your new purchase/decision.
I've been eye-ing the vintech's for a while too.
Keep us posted, and let us all hear some tunes in the clinic when you've got it all up and running.

Michael Jones said:
Should I get the BMW or the Mercedes?
Hehe, either way, you're going to enjoy it. Congrats on your new purchase/decision.
I've been eye-ing the vintech's for a while too.
Keep us posted, and let us all hear some tunes in the clinic when you've got it all up and running.

You Got It ;)

Back