Which mics for drum overheads?

deafen

I've got two pairs of condensor mics to choose from for drum over heads. The band is a fairly heavy rock band.

One pair is MXL V57Ms (same capsule as V67). I've used them in the past with very nice results -- a nice, shimmering cymbal sound, but not overly hyped. The last time I used these as a spaced pair, and it sounded very nice.

The other is my recently-acquired Behringer ECM8000's. I've used them for other purposes a bunch (bongos, percussion, acoustic guitar), but haven't had the opportunity to use them for drum overheads yet.

Any opinions on which ones might be better suited for the job? The Behringers have sounded great on everything else, so I'm leaning towards using them, but I'm not yet familiar with their sound, and this is my first paying customer, so I don't want to screw it up.

(Buying a third pair is not an option, just to avoid the "buy a pair of TLM's". :)

If you got enough tracks, try both of 'em and choose in the mix.

Or try them during soundcheck and let your customer decide with you. Explain the situation to him, you have just invested in those mics, and they sound good on everything you tried them on, but you haven't tried this. He'll understand.

Or he might be completely stupid and not understand, in which case you should use the behringers, so that you have tried it once. If he really is stupid, he won't know the difference anyway. :D

I've *almost* got enough tracks -- I'm one short if I leave out the hihat mic, and two short if I mic the hat (which I prefer to do).

I like the idea of asking the client about it, too. The group is a bunch of younger guys who understand that I'm just getting started with this stuff, so I'm not too worried about them not understanding.

Thanks for the advice. Given those two mic choices, which would *you* use? The cheapo LD cardiod condensors or the cheapo SD omni consensors?

Use the ECM8000s as overheads and don't mic the hihat - move the overheads around till you get the hihat balanced against the cymbals.

Results...

The drum session was yesterday, so I've got some results to share.

I started the session with the ECM8000's up as overheads. I had the drummer play for a bit, then listened back to what was actually being captured; I wasn't very happy with the results, so I tried a couple different positions. (All were set up as spaced pairs.) No joy -- the room just sounds like crap, and the ECM8000's do a fabulous job of capturing all that reflection from the ceiling and walls no matter where I put them.

I ended up running the V57M's, and was once again very impressed with the results. I guess my room just isn't good enough for really accurate omnis. And now I know. :)

Still love 'em for acoustic guitar and percussion, though.

I ran without a hat mic, and was reasonably satisfied with the results. Next time, when I'm not tracking 17 minutes of hard rock demo in two days, I'll spend some more time with positioning and balance.

Re: Results...

deafen said:
No joy -- the room just sounds like crap, and the ECM8000's do a fabulous job of capturing all that reflection from the ceiling and walls no matter where I put them.

As much as I like the ecm8000's . . . I'm not sure if they're the best choice for the typical home-wrecker. Most of us are trying to get by with what are not typically ideal room accoustics. I happen to be lucky enough to have a very wide-open loft as my main living space, and it sounds gorgeous.

Everythign I record up there with the ecm's sounds AWESOME. Unfortunately, anything I record anywhere else sounds like utter crap, depending on the quality of the accoustics.

How much you like them will be directly proportional to the quality of the accoustics in the space in which you are recording. I can see why guys like Harvey like them so much, but I can also see where they would be nightmare for a lot of others out there.

For the bucks,Shack ($70 the pair) you can't go wrong.You will find many uses for them in addition to drum overheads.Acoustic guitar,cab micing,many uses except for vox.

shackrock said:
how do you guys think a room like this would look:

is it worth buying 2 ecm's over what i use now (2 sm58's)?

Well, given the price, I'd say they're definitely worth buying, but I'm not sure if your space would be ideal for them just yet. You'd either want a really, big, spacious area with high ceilings and wood floors . . . or you'd want a total sonic vaccum (or at least close to it -- thick foam panels surrounding everything, and thick, padded carpet).

I went totally dead with my room,every inch covered with studio foam. The ecm8000s work like a charm. I normally do run three sets of overheads because I allready have the PZMs attached to the cieling. and I like to use a set of LD condencers through the tube pre. I pick out the best sounding set or sometimes 2 sets work great.

Back