Which microphone with my modded Golden Age Pre 73?

beyoungpdx

Hello,

I have owned a Modded Golden Age Pre for a couple years now. I was hoping you guys could direct me to the right microphone. I own a KSM32 but feel like I might have the wrong mic for the job. I have been producing hip hop vocals for over 7 years and
feel like perhaps this KSM32 is a bit too clean for me? I used to own a sm7b but sold it after missing having a condenser mic. I picked up the KSM32 but its not quite what I want. I used to record on a at3035 paired with a vtb tube pre and really miss the sound. Perhaps it sounds silly that I am able to upgrade my gear and get less desired results.

Can you guys direct me to a good microphone that will pair well with my GAP? I have been looking at the blue microphones and would like to keep it under $500 bucks if possible.

I am hoping for some advice that helps me pair my vocals to the right microphone.

Here is a link to some of my music

soundcloud.com/beyoung

Hello,

I have owned a Modded Golden Age Pre for a couple years now. I was hoping you guys could direct me to the right microphone. I own a KSM32 but feel like I might have the wrong mic for the job. I have been producing hip hop vocals for over 7 years and
feel like perhaps this KSM32 is a bit too clean for me? I used to own a sm7b but sold it after missing having a condenser mic. I picked up the KSM32 but its not quite what I want. I used to record on a at3035 paired with a vtb tube pre and really miss the sound. Perhaps it sounds silly that I am able to upgrade my gear and get less desired results.

Can you guys direct me to a good microphone that will pair well with my GAP? I have been looking at the blue microphones and would like to keep it under $500 bucks if possible.

I am hoping for some advice that helps me pair my vocals to the right microphone.

Here is a link to some of my music

soundcloud.com/beyoung

Well if you're looking for the perfect pair, go with one of GAP's mics. Try one of their ribbon mics if you can afford it. If you're looking for something a little darker to go with your warm and character-heavy pre, this might yield more favorable results to your ears, than a super clean condenser. R 1 MKII Active looks to be pretty darn affordable and has awesome reviews!

Thanks for the advice. Ive never owned a ribbon mic so I dont know what to expect. I was also told on some other forms to try an MXL67ME as they are suited for hip hop vocals and a blue baby bottle. Ill def look into these Golden Age Mics. I am having a hard time finding reviews on them compared to the more popular brands.

What you can expect is a little more smooth roll off in the high end (not to say it will be dull and have no clarity, just more natural than an LDC). A few other differences too, but that's what you'll notice most I think. Sibilance (your 'S' words) will be less of a problem, and those harsh crystally fizzy highs you can get sometimes from an LDC, will either not be present or be much less present. Perhaps the hyped high frequencies that are pretty usual with condensors, are what is giving you that "too clean" sound you're trying to avoid.

Here's a review by Sound on Sound on a whole bunch of ribbon mics. They really rave about the MKII and Active MKII. Their cost is pretty damn low considering the performance. Ribbon Mics On Test

Those other mics people are suggesting may be what's more common for rap and hip hop, so if you want to sound like everyone else out there in a musical genre that is sounding all the more alike as of late, then go with those. However if you wanted a different edge or sound, I suggest a ribbon. Surely it's a retro sound, but even if you eq it to sound more modern for rap, it'll still have that certain something, just a slightly different tonality about it that just sounds different. Maybe not better or worse, just different.

Good luck!

Great advice on sounding different! I read the sound on sound article and was definitely intrigued. I'll have to give much consideration between a trusted standard or something that makes me stand out from the crowd. I didn't even consider looking at it that way which is funny because I always try to do that with my lyrics. However, implementing that strategy in my gear is important as well.

Great advice on sounding different! I read the sound on sound article and was definitely intrigued. I'll have to give much consideration between a trusted standard or something that makes me stand out from the crowd. I didn't even consider looking at it that way which is funny because I always try to do that with my lyrics. However, implementing that strategy in my gear is important as well.

Exactly. It's funny how musicians do things like that to be different, but then after a while, if it catches on, everyone wants to sound THAT kind of different, which in turn makes everyone sound the same again! :facepalm:

Sort of like how tube guitar amps came back to be super popular in the 90's. Everyone wants that retro sound, with recording gear as well. But regardless, it'll be a different flavour than an LDC for rap. Kinda cool!

If ribbons are being considered, have a look at the RM-5 by DIY Audio Components.

Here is a review of the RM-5 against a Royer R-101 in the context of voiceover recording.

A good shock mount is highly recommended.

A pop filter is essential for voice work, since a plosive can have enough strength to stretch the ribbon.

Paul

Back