which microphone should I use on an upright bass?

If those are your only choices, try the RE20 in the "sweet spot", usually somewhere between the bridge and F-hole...

Other winners:

KM84 aimed at the bridge, about 6" away...
44BX in the sweet spot
EV55
EV635a in a pinch

Try running a DI with the pickup if the bass has one--add it to the mic signal for some definition...
LOL...

Actually my other choices would be a SM57, Shure Unidyne B, or a SCM 900, but I thought one of the others would probably be a better idea. Or am I wrong about that?

this last weekend i had a band in with the big guy.

i used two mics:

AT4033 LD Condenser

and a

AKG 460 SD Condenser (Cardioid Capsule)

i feel this turned out well. both mics were pointing just above the F hole, about 18" away, off axis about 20 degrees on the high freq side.

i panned both mics in the mix and this gave a great spaciousness that sat very well in the mix.

-kp-

I don't know which model, but most bands I've seen who have upright basses (and even cello) mount a small mic on the bridge.

I last saw Dave Brubeck 2 weeks ago and his bass player had one mounted on the bridge too. In the orchestra I play we mic the cello that way too. I'll check with the director once we go back...

An integral part of an upright bass' sound is the reflection off of a hard-surface floor, so make sure you don't mic up in a carpeted, damped room!

Bruce

I used a GT AM-52 in omni about 18" from the bass looking at the top of the right "f" hole. This was for a bluegrass band.

Thanks for all the replies! Also, I'm glad you brought that bit of info to my attention Bruce, I would have never known! :)

Back