Which mic?

Dan Colverson

Im about to buy my first condenser mic, Ive read a lot of really useful stuff here which has lead me to a few specific questions. The mics Ive been looking at are: Audio Technica AT4040, Rode NTK, AKG Perception 400 & the AKG SolidTube. Im gonna try them out and see what I like but I thought id try and get some advice here first cos I am basically a total mic newbie and to be honest probably wont be able to actually appreciate the differences too well at first.

My preamp is very basic and will be upgraded at some point but for now its a Studio Projects VTB-1. I know those mics are probably never gonna shine through that preamp but I wanna get a decent starting point that I can use for a few years. I intend to use it for mainly vocals but some acoustic guitar would be cool too, but vocals is the important thing. I have my eye on the Rode NTK in particular, partly cos I heard it is good at adding something to a voice like mine. I have a pretty soft, weak, low voice (male) which can be heard through an SM58 into a guitar amp:
http://www.myspace.com/100percentcottonmusic

Anyone got any thoughts?

Reactions: SRR
Only mic from that list that I've used is the AT4040.

I used it on acoustic guitar and my friend recorded vocals on it. It sounded real nice. Very clear and detailed. I think you would be happy with it for awhile.

I had a Rode NTK for a while and dug it. It's a very good vocal mic for the money though I found it to be kind of sibilant. I've read many times on various MB's that this has a lot to do with the stock tube that comes with it and that if you swap the tube out for something nicer that it can help smooth out the top end.

Based on my own experience only, that NTK sibilance was tamed on the K2. One of the many reasons I opted for the K2 over the NTK, besides the fully adjustable pattern and superior capsule design. The NT2000 is no slouch either. Basicall a NT2-A with the variable pattern and rolloff. They ALL use the HF-2 capsule custom designed by Rode.....the NTK does NOT use this capsule. The preamp used will of course effect your end result. However I still think the K2 is a major leap forward from a NTK sonically...........

roadwarrior said:
Based on my own experience only, that NTK sibilance was tamed on the K2. One of the many reasons I opted for the K2 over the NTK, besides the fully adjustable pattern and superior capsule design. The NT2000 is no slouch either. Basicall a NT2-A with the variable pattern and rolloff. They ALL use the HF-2 capsule custom designed by Rode.....the NTK does NOT use this capsule. The preamp used will of course effect your end result. However I still think the K2 is a major leap forward from a NTK sonically...........
I agree. The K2 is a huge step up with a small dollar hike.

Micter said:
I agree. The K2 is a huge step up with a small dollar hike.

While the K2 very well could be a better mic, I wouldn't call a 40% increase in price a small hike. My experience with the NTK has been very favorable on male vox (baritone range) and also on solo violin and acoustic guitar.

But it does beg the question of price range for Dan, who listed mics that go new for $299 to $999. If you're really willing to spend $1k on a mic, why even consider a mic that goes for $300?

Reactions: SRR
Thanks guys i'll add the K2 to that list and give it a serious listen. To Nate, wasnt sure what you were talking about there till I looked up some of the prices in $... There seems to be a bit of variation in UK prices to US prices,, all of the mics I listed are a lot cheaper in the US, except the AKG Solidtube, which is much cheaper in the UK for some reason. Over here all those mics are in a similar budget round about £300-£370/$570-$700 cept the AT 4040 which is a little cheaper £185/$350. The Solidtube is only $700 over here! Odd.

Also, instead of the K2, there is the Studio Projects T3, for the price of the NTK, with many of the features of the K2.

Dan Colverson said:
Thanks guys i'll add the K2 to that list and give it a serious listen. To Nate, wasnt sure what you were talking about there till I looked up some of the prices in $... There seems to be a bit of variation in UK prices to US prices,, all of the mics I listed are a lot cheaper in the US, except the AKG Solidtube, which is much cheaper in the UK for some reason. Over here all those mics are in a similar budget round about £300-£370/$570-$700 cept the AT 4040 which is a little cheaper £185/$350. The Solidtube is only $700 over here! Odd.

Darn exchange rate! :)

I've been driving myself nuts over it again too, and after selling a Soundeluxe U195 that I kind of got disenchanted with and looking, reading and listening for the last month, I bought a new premium upgraded Oktava 219 from Oktavamod. I have my fingers crossed, and it should be here by friday. The stuff he does to these mics is pretty thorough. Completely replaces the electronics in it, builds his own head cage for it, and burns it in for 3 days before he ships, testing it several times to make sure the components are aging correctly. I feel like I'm getting something that got some personal attention, and brand new with everything is much less than $500.
I intend to post some samples not long after I get it.
Just saying.... its an option you should look in to.

Directly from my email:

Burn-in is a period where the mic is left connected to the phantom power
supply to allow the components to age, settle in to their best sonic
performance and weed out the 1% of FETs that develop early life noise. Large
mic manufacturers just build, skip burn-in and ship. But I prefer to make
sure all the mics I send out are in top shape, sounding their best before
they go out.

I test all mics before and after mods on my speaking voice through my reference
headphones. Using a standard collection of phrases and vocal sounds I listen
for a whole slew of issues - HF extension, HF transient response, proximity
effect tuning, midrange phase accuracy. Its simply the fastest and most
reliable method of checking a mic - if you've got a base of experience,
reference source material, a quiet room and reference headphones.

tubedude said:
Directly from my email:

Burn-in is a period where the mic is left connected to the phantom power
supply to allow the components to age, settle in to their best sonic
performance and weed out the 1% of FETs that develop early life noise. Large
mic manufacturers just build, skip burn-in and ship. But I prefer to make
sure all the mics I send out are in top shape, sounding their best before
they go out.

I test all mics before and after mods on my speaking voice through my reference
headphones. Using a standard collection of phrases and vocal sounds I listen
for a whole slew of issues - HF extension, HF transient response, proximity
effect tuning, midrange phase accuracy. Its simply the fastest and most
reliable method of checking a mic - if you've got a base of experience,
reference source material, a quiet room and reference headphones.

Burning in a part only weeds out infant mortality of parts. "Aging' parts will not happen at all unless the unit is burned in at higher temperatures. We burn all of our product for 24 hours at 85 degrees/C.

Back