Which mic to use on drums

virtualvisions

Euphonix rocks
I'm going to be miking a drumset soon, and all I have to use is a rode nt3 and nt1a. I was wondering what would be the best way to mic the set?

bumpin' it.

Two unfamiliar mics is a little tough (for me anyways). I'm thinking that I would put the LDC up over-head, slightly forward...above the drummer's head and maybe even a little more forward. You'll need to move it all around (up/down/forward/back/left/right) to find a good and balanced complete set sound. If you've never done this before, a second person will be helpful.

As for the smaller condenser...if you need it...I would put it on the snare. I don't know anything about that mic. Most small condensers will do fine on the snare but move up on it slowly and test to make sure you don't blow it out of the water. If that mic is ok with the spl, I would put it about 1 to 2 inches above the rim pointed at the drummer's crotch...to get a little more bark, point it at the center of the head or for a bit more shell sound, tighter to the rim.

I would use the Rode NT3 as an overhead. I would probably put it up behind the drummer of over the drummers head as i find i get more actually drum sound from this. However as you have very little options for adjusting in the mix it really depends on how the drummer balances the kit. I would then place the NT1a at a little bit above the center of the kick drums hieght about 2 feet out to pick up some more beef from the kick as well as some of the kit.

Alot of people will use a 3 or 4 mic setup with 2 overheads and a kick mic or 2 overheads and a kick and snare mic so with careful placement you can get similar to this just in mono.

Last edited:
Well...I use lot more as well..

but...Small condensers are better for overhead. They are faster..So you'll get more detail. I would say overhead if you were using more mics...

but if I were you I'd try putting it over the drummers right shoulder pointing between the snare and rack tom...

1. it will help get snare and toms since you only have the one mic..
2. over the shoulder because it will help balance out to much hi hat bleed with his head blocking it some.

Large mic should go on kick.. If you do only overhead and snare...you will have no 1,3 you'll just feel 2 and 4 from the snare...It will be weird...
Plus with the one mic over the shoulder (if that sound works that is) it will get plenty of snare..That is the loudest thing next to hat...You need the kick...

Axis said:
I would then place the NT1a at a little bit above the center of the kick drums hieght about 2 feet out to pick up some more beef from the kick as well as some of the kit.

I like this idea. Orinignally I was thinking of using the NT1a as a dedicated kick drum mic, but I think Axis's idea is better in terms of picking up the whole kit.

Thanks guys!

Go to that myspace at the bottom.... Those clips (crappy MP3) were all recorded with a single overhead...Yes there are other mics...I don't have any recordings of 2 mics right now..

But On my studio site... I have pics under my sessions that show a Royer over the shoulder...It does pick up the kit as a whole...

but I'd try every way...Because some of these will work and some won't only because of your room. We can't hear that..So I'd try different things...Find what works best. Because there is never a set way...I've had my drummer who is a session tech for me. Setup his kit...He's plyed on 100's of recordings...We know this kit and my room well.. but we set it up for a band to use. When that drummer sat down...It was like...Start over. He could not get the tones out of the kit...It's in the hands of the drummer. So try all these styles of mcing because you may find you'll use them with different drummers..

Good luck.

As was suggested, use the NT1 out front and about chest height BUT spend time to find the best position, both height and distance out. Time spent doing that could make all the difference in the quality of your recording.

Rode's NT3 mics are one of the harshest sounding mics I have ever encountered. If you must use it, I would suggest trying to keep it away from cymbals if at all possible.

:cool:

ausrock said:
As was suggested, use the NT1 out front and about chest height BUT spend time to find the best position, both height and distance out. Time spent doing that could make all the difference in the quality of your recording.

Rode's NT3 mics are one of the harshest sounding mics I have ever encountered. If you must use it, I would suggest trying to keep it away from cymbals if at all possible.

:cool:

I beg to differ on you opinion of the NT3. While it is not as warm as others, I don't think it produces a harsh tone. I like the clarity of this mic, which is why I think it will work well as an overhead

Back