Votes: 12 20.0%
  • MXL V77

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Blue Baby Bottle (around $370)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters
More to the point........if it is for your voice, which one would you choose? Only you can make the decision.

:cool:

Way to take a stand there, Aus. :) :)

Here's some really good comments on the v77 I got off of rec.audio.pro. A lot of people seem to think it compares well to the Neumann TLM 103:

From Harvey:

Marshall MXL-V77 $600 This is the top of the line Marshall tube mic, and it's very similar to the TLM-103 in sound (with a little more proximity effect). It's a very nice tube mic, especially at the price. There was a 1 dB difference in the level between the two V77s we tested, but the sound was identical.

From Steve607:

"While the C-12 was much more intimate, I can see many places where I would use the V77 instead, the 77 just blew away the 103 and the 147 on just about everything. Like I've said, I originally planned on using the mic as a door jam, but looks like its
going to sit tight with the Neumanns and AKGs in my mic locker."

"Like I've said before, best mic I've heard under 1k."

(And there's more:)

" . . . you're right, maybe blew away was not the right word. I should have said that the V-77 threw the TLM 103 on the ground and curb stopped that tiny fat little fuck. I would compare the 77 to higher end tube mics that I've heard. If it had a tiny bit more low end beef, which can be done post tracking with a good
eq, it would perfect. I would not compare the TLM 103 with any higher end FET mics. I started out just trying the 77 on vox, but when the guys here heard how great it sounded, they were throwing it on everything, and I don't think there was anything the TLM 103 sounded better on. This is all my opinion of
course, but I know of people who share this opinion.

From Ben Maas, Fifth Circle Audio:

"As for the large diaphragm mics, I think the 2003 and V-77s are good mics. Period. They are incredible for the price. Are they a replacement for all of your high-end mics (U87, 67, 47, 251, C-12, etc...)? Absolutely not. They are a different sound and will compliment many of these mics in your mic locker. I really like the V-77. I have used it with great success on woodwinds (monster on flute-- I have heard nothing I like more), piano, and brass. It is warm sounding but quite clear. Seems to be fairly consistent
throughout all ranges-- the top end is quite respectable. On ours, we built new power supplies, and it seems to sound much better. (One is a tube regulated supply and the other is a shunt regulated solid state supply).

The 2003 sounds similar except it is missing some of that tube "warmth." I seem to remember Brent telling me that the 2003 and the V-77 use the same capsule. (I could be wrong here, though). It still has a pretty smooth sound, however..."

Hey ausrock, I didn´t make myself clear... :). It´s NOT for my voice, it is going to be the main vocal mic in my studio! Keep´em coming guys! :)

319 Seconded

Got a used one off eBay just to impress clients who DEMAND a large condensor mic in the cabinet...tried it out thru a Grace 101 pre, and was immediately blown away by its clarity, warmth, and detail...Tried it directly to an Aardvark 2496 pre, the mic is clear and warm but very precise, what you'd expect from a solid state pre...

U87 buster-no way...but for certain things (alto/baritone vocals, et al) there isn't a better bargain anywhere...

That's my $.02...

I've heard the TB-1,matter of fact I own one and I would recommend it to anyone.I think it is a great mic for three beans.

Randy, I think you've made your point that you like that mic. :) :) You might have mentioned it once or twice. :) But you gotta' wonder just how many more people could possibly have much experience with it since it just came out . . . what . . . last week?

Chess,it has only been out for a few weeks and there wasn't a great many in the first shipment anyhow.Like anything else it will take a while for the mic to prove itself but I feel that it is very competitive at it's price point and is worth a listen by anyone who is considering a mic for three hundred dollars.I ain't going to say that it blows away it's competition just that it is a very nice sounding mic that should be considered by anyone spending $300.

Two ideas;

1) Studio Projects C3-heard (both) in person and the "sessions CD".
2) Two Studio Projects B3's to be used for stereo recordings-many uses there.
(haven't heard the B series in person though-just an idea!)

So any B3 users out there and how do you like them?

Chris

QUOTE:.....

"Alright, for all the TB-1 recommendations . . .

How many of you have even heard a TB-1?

That's what I thought."

Jesus Chessrock, only one person in this thread had mentioned that mic when you posted that, and from other threads, I presumed he either owns one of has used on already.

:rolleyes:

ausrock--can't speak for chessrock or his reasons, but SIX people voted for that mic as the one to get. Randy's the only one I know of that has experience with it.

As for me, I have hands on experience with only one of these mics--the AT 4033, and I'd have no problem with buying another one if it was to be my only LD condenser and I had 3 beans to spend.

My point exactly. It's number of votes-to-actual-experience-with-it ratio is tipping the scales a bit much, don't you agree (about 6 to 1)?

Crawdad, Chessrock,

My apologies, I didn't look at the poll results. Actually I almost never look at poll results............I'd much prefer to see a post with something constructive in it. I tend to regard polls on most, but not all subjects here as a waste...............just my view:)

:cool:

Back