Which Mic For Horn?

Claude G

Harvey: Your opinion please - for recording solo trumpet in a jazz quintet setting : Shure SM7 or Beyer M260? I use a Ward-Beck m470D mic pre and/or a Grace Design 101 (Straight to Tascam DA-38 (no compression going in). Thanks.

Either should work very well. You should be able to get the SM-7 in a little closer for more isolation, but both will work well for trumpet. You might also try the Sennheiser MD421 if you can get ahold of one.

As I pointed out in another thread, it also will change a bit depending on the key you're playing in - one mic may work better than the other, depending on the key of the song.

Start at about 18 to 24" out from the front of the bell, with the mic about 6" off the front axis of the horn, but with the mic still angled towards the bell. Move in or out till you find the "sweet spot".

Harvey: Thanks much for such a quick reply - should have mentioned that I have been using the Sennheiser 421 II for a while and do like it, however, I have heard comments that the SM7 is far more suitable (?) for recording trumpet. Didn't mean to "blind sight" anyone on this...but now the question becomes Will I notice any significant difference between say the SM7 and the 421? If you have tried both (as I'm sure you have) which would you prefer as far as smooth, detailed, even sound?

I always liked the 414 on trumpet. With some mics and depending on the sound you are looking for I prefer pointing the mic towards the rim of the bell, or sometimes even from the side pointing to the part where the engraving is on the bell. This can result in a cleaner sound, albeit a bit less brilliant. It works best with mics that have a very pronounced presence peak like the beyer m500

Claude, hard questions without being able to hear you play. A lot of it depends on the trumpet and the guy playing it.

Having issued that disclaimer, my preferences would probably be:

1. Beyer M260 Ribbon with Sank DX mod.

2. Shure SM-7.

3. Sennheiser MD421.

4. Sennheiser MD421 Mk II

At least, that's the order I'd start with.

Harvey : Thanks much for your thoughts. I will try out an SM7 soon as the Beyers are not readily available around this area. Thanks also to Kuhn for his info...I have actually tried some of the "behind the bell" mic techniques on trumpet and they provide yet another perspective...

Harvey: Something just came up and I may be able to buy a Sony C38 for $400!!!! Fletcher says this is THE MIC for trumpet...in view of this "new development" would you go with this over the Beyer/SM7?

I need to answer the seller soon and don't want to buy something that won't do the job.......THANKS

Claude G said:
Harvey: Something just came up and I may be able to buy a Sony C38 for $400!!!! Fletcher says this is THE MIC for trumpet...in view of this "new development" would you go with this over the Beyer/SM7?

I need to answer the seller soon and don't want to buy something that won't do the job.......THANKS
That's a great price for a great mic!! GET IT !!!

I paid $600 for mine and thought it was a hell of a deal.

Harvey: It was too good to be true! I was buying this through one of these used pro gear brokers and the seller changed his mind...so, I ordered a used Beyer M260. In looking for these prized vintage items I ran across a dealer (B&H) in NY and he sells brand new Sony C48s..????are these as good as the old C38s? They sure look the same. These are going for $1K...what do you think?

The C-48 is very similar to the C38, except it's multi-pattern, has built-in battery or phantom power capabilities, and sounds VERY good. $1,000 is pretty high. There's a brand new C48 on ebay with a buy it now price of $850.

Back