which mic for dorm studio?

zumdiggidy

I'm doing Cakewalk HD recording in my dorm room, which is not exactly sound-proof.
I'm trying to record very nice quality vocals. People say I need more than a sm58.
All the beter mics seem to have supercardiod patterns. Woudn't that pick up noise from the rear and sides that are unwanted? Why would someone use this pattern? Am I wrong? I want a super vocal mic for under$220. Any suggestions? Is the AKG c100 any good for vocals? What about the sm87? what?!
thanks

Hey.
I am in the college Atmoshpere as well. I know what you mean about recording quietly, and truthfully if you have to do it quietly, then it probably won't sound too good. I would wait until a Friday night when everyone is out getting trashed and record then when you are not likely to bother anyone. But, for mics, I would recomend something in the line of a small diaphram(sp?) condensor. I use an Audio Technica Midnight Blues mic that really works nicely. A friend of mine uses the AKG C1000s. I would probably get the AKG cause it is easier to find and more people konw how to work with it, but they both sound very nice. The reason I got the AT is because it was used and I got it very cheap. But the C1000s should be about 179$ if you shop around. It has switchable polar patters too. I am not sure if you need phantom power on that mic though. THe AT has a battery power option. The AKG might need it. I am sure you can find that out by checkin the AKG website, or just asking around here. Good luck.

MIKE

The C1000 would sound more transparent than the "58" ,all things considered .How ever the Rode NT1 seems to be one that alot of pepole on this site seem to like in the price range that you are looking at...gotta have phantom power for that one though.Super or Hypercartioid is the most focused pickup pattern of standard mics ...more side and back rejection" what you point it at it hits so to speak" hope thatyou have good luck in your search

rode nt1 is a super vocal mic for 200 dollars , but it will pick up the sound of a fly taking a poop 3 dorms away.. in short ,its super sensitve..

- eddie -

I bought a cad e-100 for around $240 a few years ago. It won't be too quiet in terms of background noise, but it sounds pretty good anyway. It takes a good beating as well.

Back