• Direct with an effects box/cab simulator

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Direct using DAW's effects

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Guitars are stupid. I like bagpipes.

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
Oh, sure ...rub it in. :p

Hell, I can count the times I've SEEN one on one hand.

I'm one of those guys who's stuck with trying to simulate it (grrr).

Don't forget to try putting the mic behind the speaker, I have run into several open backed amps that sound better from the back.

Seanmorse79 said:
Oh, sure ...rub it in. :p

Hell, I can count the times I've SEEN one on one hand.

I'm one of those guys who's stuck with trying to simulate it (grrr).

I have a C3, and a motion sound R3-147. The motion sound is a great alternative to a leslie, since you dont have to mic it, and its a lot lighter. I cant tell much differance between an R3-147 recorded and a well miced leslie. IF your looking for a leslie sound, check them out.

Wow. That thing looks awesome. ...it seems small to have self-contained real rotating horns (and it's rackmountable - gotta love that :)

..still a bit out of my price range, but it's something to shoot for.

Thanks for the info.

I either go direct through the Marshall JMP-1 or Tech21 Trademark 10 combo, or DI + mic. I almost never use ONLY a mic, if there's some shitty telephone call or something in the middle of my life's best guitar track. I always have a speaker emulated DI going to one track, and often it's the keeper with possible blend from the mic.

Stefan Elmblad said:
I almost never use ONLY a mic, if there's some shitty telephone call or something in the middle of my life's best guitar track.

You COULD try turning off your phone when you are recording....;)

can i ask a stupid question for a moment?i've been recording electric guitar tracks for the last 3 months,and all i have is an akg c2000b,and a shure sm58,i been using the sm 58 and pleased with it,but EVERYBODY has the *#@**$## sm57,is there really a difference other than the look and durability?i mean i also have the guitar and the amp('67 strat reissue,mexican tele,solid state princeton chorus,not my amp of choice,i don't have a choice in this situation)but i love the mic'd sound next to anything i love hearing a guitar being dug into , and the buzz is about realistic as you can get to live guitar ,(i.e.;come on pt.2 electric ladyland,jimi hendrix)it's nice to hear the player working the tone,rather than the tone working a player.:D

The basic differences between the 57 & 58 are the 57 has a little more low-end and a tighter pattern. It's my mic of choice on sealed cabs to capture that low-end chunk.

hmmmmm....i am getting some mud sometimes...is that the distinct difference?i get soo much midrange,in fact ,lately i am scared to record with any amp reverb,or i just leave the amp as flat as possible,mind you i am doing rhythmic parts with some crunch,but once the track is deep in the mix it sounds like brown mud,is this due to the mic,or am i just eq'ing the amp wrong?i would rather record a hot guitar track than fix it in the mix,wasting all this valuable time doing compression and eq's.i do put this mic in beteween both speakers cuz it has this stereo chorus thing and i want to get the full swell in mono,i dunno if it's my imagination but from a distance,this amp actually sounds like the chorus goes from left to right, back and forth between two 10"speakers,i tried mic'ing one speaker w/ the chorus and it doesn't get the full effect. are my ears playing tricks,or do the 90's solid state princeton chorus have stereo chorus?

The Princeton is an open-back amp, right? I've run into the mud factor too when micing open cabs up close because I don't like to mic near the center of the speaker where the sound is brighter. That's why I like the omnis on my Super. You could try micing it from the back or just experiment with 'phones on and someone else playing until you find a spot you like. You'll find that moving the mic even a few MM can have a big effect on the sound. You should be able to get a decent sound with a 58 though unless you want heavy chunk. If you want that you'll have to go with a sealed cab.

Are you guys leaving the windscreen on the 58? That's where the mud often comes in. Unscrew the windscreen and the difference between the 57 and the 58 is next to nothing.

Cy

I always try do a little from each world at the same time; I mic the amp and at the same time I run the guitar through a DI box onto another track.

When doing acoustic guitars, I mic the guitar (sometimes with two mics; one close up pointing at your picking hand, the other a bit further away for ambience). but if possible, I also run the guitar through a DI on a third track. I often end up using most of the mics and just adding the DI track 'till I have a little more bottom and definition

Vegar

Seanmorse79 said:
Wow. That thing looks awesome. ...it seems small to have self-contained real rotating horns (and it's rackmountable - gotta love that :)

..still a bit out of my price range, but it's something to shoot for.

Thanks for the info.

Actually, Leslies, (and Motion Sound) have only one horn. The other is a fake that is just used for balance.

Motion sound also makes a cheaper, non miced, non rack mount horn..

Seriously- try this-Take the modeler of choice (POD, VAMP II, J-Station), jack it into a clean reference/power amp (the kind they told you was no good for guitar). Disable any cab modeling effects if possible, jack that into a good cab, and mic that with a SM-57 dynamic or other mic of choice. You can get all your amp modeling effects unchanged by a guitar amp with uneeded character, and also get the natural room reverb and color of a mic'd cab, at relatively low volume levels. I vote for all of the above- use a POD *and* mic the cab!-Richie

I go direct from a chain (tuner, compress, ART 2000xpress, bla bla bla) to the board and then on out thru my cute lil Gina to the PC.
Fact is I am in a 12x12 room and I go deaf long before I know if it sounds good when I mic. Not to mention I use a combination of acoustic and electric effects.

Footnote: has anyone gotten a decent bagpipe sound yet? wait, I'll make that a new thread......

Try the arrangement above, my room is 19' X 16' and part of it desk/office but I can get most sounds I want (all right, not all) at way < 100db. I'm playing solid body that's barely louder than my Taylor, but running it through a cab and mic'ing it. With the right amount of preamp gain and no EQ, you can fool the recorder into thinking it's a real cranked amp. Samson Servo 120 works fairly well with the bridged mono output to a 1 X 12 Celestion vintage 30. Anyway, I look forward to hearing you, you have one wicked cranked-up signal chain! I salute you...-Richie

Back