Which Mastering/CD writing Programs?

Stephen Jones

Hi.
Sorry if this has been answered ad nauseum, but I'm totally confused about which mastering programs/CD writing programs to purchase, and if I need both.
I am currently using an older version of Sound Forage and a free version Easy CD Creator from Roxio which came with my burner. I need a mastering program that can keep up with a bunch of new plug-ins I've got (Waves) and I'd like to be able to record quality CDRs and be able to take advantage of manipulating pre-gap or lead-in times (backwards time counter).
So far i've heard about E-Magic's Wavelab, Steinberg's Waveburner, Sonic Foundry's Cd Architect and considered getting a new version of Sound Forage.
So I'm gettng confused. Can anyone reccomend for me a good path to take here? If I shell out money for Sound Forage, do I need CD Architect as well? and vice versa? Are there other programs I've missed? As said before, I'm looking for a high-quality set up, but I don't want to spend money needlessly.
Thanks!!!
steve

Stephen,

I would save my money and go for Steinbergs Wavelab, as this program is very powerful and over time you can "grow into it." Wavelab has many more features than Soundforge, and the price reflects that.

If you go with Wavelab you dont need any other CD burning program and its easy to make any sized silence between songs including no gap at all. You might consider trying the Wavelab demo and of course you might find used versions of Wavelab on Ebay. I sould suggest at least buying version 3 due to the Montage features.

I'll second the Wavelab suggestion. Great program IMHO. (However, keeping up with your plug-ins is a hardware issue rather than a software issue.)

CD Architect

Sonic Foundry just re-released CD Architect as a new version 5. It is definitely worth looking at.

Ok, seems pretty obvious which program I should get - thanks everone for posting!!!
Just more one quick question: I downloaded the demo version of Wavelab and am having trouble locating the means by which I can manipulate lead-in track time, or pre-gap time (ie - the negative backwards counter that usually exists between tracks on premanufactured music discs). It would be nice to even have the option of putting music in there as "hidden" tracks between other tracks or as intros which aren't really part of the song. It seems this function is not available in the demo version, or that the help section does not correspond with the demo version. Can someone just confirm that this capability is in the full version before I plunk down the money for it?
Thanks!!
steve

Did anyone mention Wavelab? :)

Actually, I have Wavelab 3.0, which I haven't used in a while now since Samplitude has made it redundant for me. If you're interested in a change of ownership (original disk, manual, box) let me know.
RD

Stephen Im not positive I understand your question, but I will give it a stab.

Lets say your entire CD consists of 3 songs however between track 1 and 2 maybe you want a 5 second sound effect. Of course you dont want the CD player to show that you have 4 cuts (3 songs plus the 5 second sound effect) so how is that handled?

I think (and im not positive) that 5 second sound effect beetween tracks 1 and 2 would either have to be part of the end of track 1 or the beginning of track 2. Otherwise if you give the Sound effect its own CD start and end times, the CD listing will show a total of 4 tracks instead of 3, and I think what you are asking is that there be material where it's not part of any listed track.

Back