which item to upgrade

McParadigm

Right now I'm using AT2020s for drum overheads through an Art MPA Gold pre with replaced tubes. Would you say the mics or the pre are holding me back more?

I'm not looking at a lot of cash here...if I replace the pre, I'll probably go to an RNP. If I replace the mics, I haven't decided yet but I'd be looking in the under $200 apiece range.

Are you unhappy with the results you are getting right now? Do you REALLY need to "upgrade"?

Well, I'm a guy making music in his basement with a band and living on a teacher's salary, so I probably didn't need to upgrade even to the point that I have. But I'll probably also not be in a situation where I can afford anything much nicer than this for a good number of years. Since I just sold one of my smaller amps and have a bit of cash and I figure that, by selling the replaced gear I could justify it, I figured why not.

If your only using overheads then I would suggest an Sm57 for the snare and whatever bass mic suits you. But either way I'd say the mics, not the pre-amp.

Back