Which Is The Better Purchase?!?

berkleywoods

So here's the deal...

I've been saving pennies in the piggy jar and have had my eyes set for awhile on purchasing the Yamaha AW2816 Recorder. I finally have the money, but before i make this purchase, I was wanted to ask one question......

I already have an Alesis Studio 32 Mixer. I also have a Lexicon effects rack, and a DBX compressor....if I'm gonna throw $2000 down on this Yamaha Workstation, can I get a better computer setup for the same amount of money???

I'd have to purchase the computer...but what else would I need??? and would I get better performance than the Yamaha??

Thanks for the help...Look forward to responses.....

I think with $2000 you could easily build a computer based DAW to rival the Yamaha.....but the Yamaha is one fine machine.....and its ready to go right out of the box (if you can figure it out).....

with a PC setup, be ready for snags along the way but it is a very rewarding experience......

what exactly are your input needs...how many tracks will you be recording simultaneously.....

Hey,
I wouldn't anticipate recording more than 8 tracks ever (for drums)...whats the best way to putting together the computer systems...what do i need to buy??

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/D6A94D6B2F7DA99186256A7F00747CC9

this Roll Your Own Thunderbird along with a Delta or Aardvark card would work for you.....

again the Yamaha is a fine machine...but if you will be recording drums, especailly 8 tracks, i dont believe the Yamaha has more than 2 XLR preamps (????) so you still will have to go through the Alesis.......

both setups will be very powerful...both will have its advantages and disadvantages....it will be a matter of finding out which one fits your needs more.....Id recommend hooking up with someone that has a PC based DAW and getting a demo from them....then get a demp of the Yamaha from a local music store...see which one gets the hair on the back of your neck raised......

I'd say get the Yamaha only if you need mobility (for example if you're planning to record drums at a rehearsal studio...) or if you're in some way "allergic" to PC's (hey, some people just can't stand them!)

Otherwise I'm sure you could get a much better DAW for 2000$. Do some searches on soundcards (delta 1010, aardvark Q10...)

Good luck

Another good point about using a PC is that the situation is modularly upgradeable... So as your needs change, you can change a more specific piece of equipment instead of getting a whole new studio.

That, and you have a plethora of interface options with a pc. Where with an all-in-one you're usually stuck with a little-bitty LCD screen...

And, if portablity is an issue, you can always go with a laptop and the Motu 828... :)

Mo.

Back