Which IMac

RobertN

I am currently running XP pro on a Dell with like a 3.0 processor, gig of ram, and 160 gb hard drive. I will continue using this computer to make my beats on.

I want Mac because I like how they look and I dont know anyone who owns one and by the specs they seem fast.

I'm trying to stay under $2000. For the computer only.

Audio Interface:
I have a Tascam FW-1082 and I will be using Cubase Le and possibly a Cubase 4
If I decide to upgrade.

What I want to be able to do:

Run my DAW which on average will use under 32 tracks, and be able to use Comp, Eq, Etc. plugin for each track.

Hook up another monitor to my setup.(not included in budget.)

Which is the cheapest one I can get? Also, will this last me at least 4 years if maintained properly.

I will be adding an external hard drive and I plan to get 2 gigs of ram in whatever I buy.

Wait until Tuesday, Aug. 7 to make a desicion. Rumor is that Apple will be announcing the new, updated iMac with the Santa Rosa chipset. Apple will also most likely discontinue the 17" version and only offer 20" and 24" iMacs from now on.

Which is the cheapest one I can get? Also, will this last me at least 4 years if maintained properly.

I will be adding an external hard drive and I plan to get 2 gigs of ram in whatever I buy.

No problem lasting four years. I still have labs full of early G3 iMacs that just keep chugging along. My G5 PowerMac is four years old now.

Wait until Tuesday, Aug. 7 to make a desicion. Rumor is that Apple will be announcing the new, updated iMac with the Santa Rosa chipset. Apple will also most likely discontinue the 17" version and only offer 20" and 24" iMacs from now on.

If so, you might find the previous model for sale from Apple and third-party vendors at a discount shortly before and/or shortly after the launch date, depending on where you want to be on the cost/performance curve.

Back