which has the best resolution? eps+ vs cubase

adiel

I'm using an eps+rack and I have cubase on pc.
I'm using the eps+rack as a drum machine and sequencing.
Or should i just trgger the samples?
First post...
Worked for Sugarhill records so timing is every thing to me. I'm stuck between old school and new HELP!!!
mo:old-school daw
asus kv8 64 3000 218 ram
alesis multi12
eps midi-controler, eps+ rack, radioshack 1800 keyboard w sequencer
cubase vst5.1r

The EPS rack probably has a resolution of 96 ppqn --- that means the finest note division you can get out of it is 1/96th of a quarter note, as 'ppqn' means 'pulses per quarter note'. That sounds like a lot until you look at Cubase --- it has either a 384 ppqn resolution or a 768 ppqn resolution depending on how old your particular version is.

There's the age-old question of 'tight' versus 'robotic'. You want your grooves to be tight but not so tight that they lose all fluidity.

You don't say which instrument you play, so I'm going to assume that you started on one back in the day and branched out 'til you were competent on all of the non-wind instruments. If that's the case, and even if it's not, I'd say go with Cubase as the master sequencer just because of it's flexibility and ability to run groove templates derived from midi files, and because there are lots of free and low cost VSTi (soft synths) and VST effects that will help fill out your compositions. Also, song memory and storage issues are a thing of the past with a computer.

Here's a link to KVR Audio --- LINK --- which is a mega site for all things VST and VSTi, both free and commercial.

eps16+ vs cubase resolution

Thank you very much and yes I play several instruments but many keys and drums. your info saves me the trouble of re-recoding midi files to cubase.

Back