Which for recording vocals? - SM57 vs. SM86 vs. SM87a

rweiss

Which of these 3 Shure microphones are best for recording vocals?

I've currently got a 57, but our 2 singers are planning on picking up either an 86 or 87a for live gigs - I wanted to know which would be better for recording, if either, than the 57.

Also, if anyone knows of any other microphones that are *better* than either of these 3 for LIVE vocal use (between $150 and $250), please let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:
"Better" is a relative quality, especially in live situations. Better for what? Bleed/feedback rejection? Durability on the road? Quality of reproduction?

And as for that last one, are you talking power or quiet voices, male or female, acid metal or acoustic folk styles? What works "best" for one singer/vocalist might not work as well on another.

All that said, however, my answer to your question would be

D: None of the above ;)

While any of those mics should do a more than competent job in most situations, I have a 4th recommendation. In my experience for live performances for a combination of durability, price and quality across most vocal styles, it's hard to beat a Shure Beta58. They may not be the *best* mic on the market, but they're pretty solid performing across a variety of vocal styles and can take a beating on stage.

G.

Ive always found the Shure Beta 57A as an awesome mic for live application, I think you can get one of these for about $150-$175. For recording try any large diaphram condenser mic, if you look hard enough you can find offbrand names of these for around $99, I once found one for $69 and it was worth every penny.

the sm-86 and sm87 would both be better for recording and live use. i speak from experience, because i've used all three. actually the 87 i used was a beta 87. but anyway, they are condensers, and thus much more sensitive. the 87 is hypercardiod as well, which can contribute to higher gain before feedback in a live setting.

Why are you stuck on Shure mics

They are fine, but I find the Sennheiser e series to be better on most vocals. the e835 is a nice mic in the price range of the 58's. The e865 is a fabulous microphone.

Beyer also makes some very nice microphones. I have a Soundstar mkII that is very nice. I also have a couple of TG-X 280's that are nice on female vocals--not so good on most male vocalists.

Hey, I appreciate all of the feedback.

Here's a little more information:

-It will be used on male vocals, mainly punk/rock style, no screaming.
-It's main use is for live vocals, but I wanted to know which were best for recording so I could also get double use out of them (since I'm only using a 57 for recording now).
-Price isn't an option, I'm just looking for the best quality microphone for live use, but also wanted to know which would do better for recording than the 57.

I'll look into all of the options you guys gave me, thanks!

Vocal's an individual thing - when you get to a certain point you're talking fractions of which is better suited to a voice. Best thing to do would be to try a buch and see what suits best. You should definitely check out the Audio-technica AE series as well, the Sennheiser e865 already mentioned is a great mic and is my personal favourite out of anything I've used on my vocal. Audix mics also get a lot of respect (never used one myself) so check out their higher range OM mics. For dynamics, check out the Sennheiser e845, e945, Shure Beta58, and Audio-technica ATM63HE - all are good.

My regular vocal mic is the ATM63HE and I've also found it to be good for recording as well (and much better than a 57, IMO).

-Dan

Back