Which dynamic mic to buy next?

Garak

I already have a few 57's(gtr amps, snare, toms), a Studio Projects C1(vocals, gtr) and I have a pair of Apex 430's(Drum overheads, gtr's, etc...) on the way.

Now I'm looking to get a few more mics to use on drums and for general use. The main thing I need is a kick drum mic. I can't afford a D112 right now and if the band request it I can rent them from where I work very cheep. What I really want is something that I can use for kick and still be usefull for other stuff like micing bass amps and voiceover stuff.

The ATM25 looks pretty good for this kind of stuff. What do you guys think? is this the best bang for my buck(or is it boom)?

I wish I could afford a RE-20 or an SM-7 but they are way out of the budget right now.

What other large dynamics are worth looking at for under $150?

Anyone using the APEX drum mics?

Hi,

Musicians Friend has the Audix D-4 on sale for 189.99. I don't have experience with it but love the D-2 on Toms. If it is as good as the other D series stuff it will kick ass.

I know it is over 150.00

You answered your own question with the ATM-25.

I can send you a link to an MP3 drum track (though it has 3 other intruments with it recorded live just for reference) with one on a kick if you care to hear it. It's 4.48 MB so it'd take awhile to download it if you're on a modem, but you could here it.

You might look around for a used sennheiser md 421.I have a pair of them and have used them on everything under the sun.They make a good kick mic (imho) and have been a standard in the industry for broadcast and voiceover work for a long time.Plus,they are pretty hard to tear up so it would be hard to get hurt buying a used one.I have seen them go for around 150.00 - 175.00 or thereabouts on auction sites..........good luck.........L

Back