Which drum sequencer can do these things...

ALaz502

Hi, I'm fairly new to home recording, and I've been recording a few things but the main thing I'm having trouble with is drums.

I'm currently using Fruity Loops and I got some decent samples, but my drum beats just sound too..."straight." I can't really use any odd time signatures and I can't change tempos in the middle of a song.

So...my question is which drum sequencer can do all of these things..

1. Export to Wav

2. Have different tempos within one song.

3. Have different time signatures within one song.
(Being able to change time signatures on each drum/cymbal individually would be a bonus as well)

4. Use outside samples.

Fruity Loops has 1 and 4 covered...but I feel somewhat frustrated when I have to create a new file and paste it into the song in order to switch tempos, and there's absolutely no way that I've seen in which you could change time signatures.

I'm getting sick of the standard 1, 2, 3, 4 crap and I can't find a decent metal drummer out here.

PLEASE HELP.

N/P: Meshuggah/Destroy Erase Improve/Future Breed Machine

Actually, you could do it with Fruity.

Just do each section separately, export the .wavs and then combine each setion together in your main sequencer program.

Not really difficult, just not all in one go....

So how do you change the time signatures in Fruity Loops? I've only been able to do standard 1,2,3,4 stuff.

BTW...the reason that I don't like doing it that way, is sometimes after I'm finished putting the patterns together, I like to adjust the panning, etc. If I do it that way, I have to make sure that each separate section is equally panned, etc, and that could be a pain.

DoH!

Hmm...a little out of my league, I don't need anything THAT professional.

Anything in software?

So it's possible to change the tempo(and I don't mean just cutting it in half or doubling it) in Fruity Loops without having to make seperate files and pasting them together in Sonar?

How do you do that?

Yes, sir there is a way.

I don't remember exactly right now because I'm at the office, but search for a "tempo map" in the help file.

Record tempo-changes with live automation, then open the file, and find tune them (under current project)

I always use the piano roll to program everything, so you can move you hits to loosen up the feel, or to push the groove. Stay away from the step sequencer unless your making electronic music.There;s a little box in the top left corner of the step sequencer (in FL studio only) next to a double headed arrow where you can select the beats per measure for each pattern. Works in Step and Piano Roll mode

If you use the Piano Roll, just change your snap features to whatever time signature you need.

Good luck,
Chris

Wow! Thanks a bunch!!

all you guys on this board are so extremely helpful!

I guess I don't need anything other than Fruity Loops :)

Chrisjob said:
Record tempo-changes with live automation, then open the file, and find tune them (under current project)

I always use the piano roll to program everything, so you can move you hits to loosen up the feel, or to push the groove. Stay away from the step sequencer unless your making electronic music.

Chris:

I use the step sequencer and I can push or pull the feel by using the "shift" feature. Are you familiar with it?

I've used the shift feature, but I just like to set my hit exactly where I want it. You can also double click on each hit, and fine tune it's exact position in the beat

Also, you can make a piano roll sequence as long as you want, like for a whole verse or chorus. It really cleans up you playlist

And you can use the groove files..

And the chopping...

And you can zoom in and out...

And there's four colors to choose from....

It's the bomb.

Boom.

-Chris

ALaz502 said:
So it's possible to change the tempo(and I don't mean just cutting it in half or doubling it) in Fruity Loops without having to make seperate files and pasting them together in Sonar?

How do you do that?

the record button keeps track of temo changes and templet selection, 1-9, just move the templet around while recording is on and save as, when you play back it has saved the song as a templet/saved file...

just make sure to rename the file as you might know it will overwrite a spec file in a heartbeat...

i'm no where near tech enough for tony but i can make the badest ass loops and vsti with it...

excuse the dua factor...

HEY! we need a FL forum section, hey, anyone there? wake up ;) knock, knock...

peace...

Back