Which distortion/od pedal?

BluesJunkie

Ok, here's the deal. I haven't used distortion pedals in years, so I'm out of touch. I used to play really loud plugged straight into a Marshall, and then for the past several years I've played at lower volumes running a POD into my practice amp. I've started jamming a lot more lately, and I want to be able to get a good sound without the POD.

I'm currently playing a Les Paul through a Marshall JCM 900 combo (I want to get a Fender amp), but the Marshall's distortion sucks at low volumes. I want to be able to go from a very smooth, slightly overdriven blues sound to a heavy, non-fuzzy, Slash or King's X type sound. The Boss Overdrive pedal may be what I'm looking for on the bluesy side, but it doesn't have enough drive for heavier stuff.

What pedal(s) would y'all recommend?

Try this pedal

I'm not sure about the JCM900, but I've used a BOSS SUPER OVER DRIVE pedal (the yellow one with the two knobs) on a JCM 800 Head and a Generic 4x12 Cabinet. If you turn the gain all the way down and the level all the way up it gives you a great crunchy sound. But it only works with tube amps. Also check the pre-amp tubes in your amp. Get AX7 type tubes. Most Marshall stuff from the last 10 years come with GA tubes which can just sound fuzzy. Also, get a 4x10 cabinet to plug into, that always helps-

My son, who plays in the industrial metal band "Animal Filter" http://www.animalfilter.com/ uses a sansamp GT-2 usually straight to the PA. I've played around some with this unit and find it very versitile. Mellow "fendery" clean and mildly distorted sounds to a close aproximation of the Mesa dual rectifier sound. Marshall AC/DC type sounds are also possible. Small knob movements can make a large difference. It is the only unit I've heard that doesn't sound "fizzy" when taken direct either recorded or live!

Which distortion/OD pedal?

So many pedals, so little time...(sigh)
With the Marshall set up at your least gain-driven sound, you can ramp up to your preferred Hi-Gain drive and beyond with a variety of pedals. I used to use a Marshall DriveMaster that did that perfectly. Let's not forget the tried and true TubeScreamer or Boss OD-1 pedals. They both do a damn fine job.
If you have the cash, there are some better pedals that will do the job. Tech21nyc makes a few heavy hitters (DoubleDrive, Tri-A.C., and GT2) that should be able to help you find your best possible sound. I currently use a Trademark 60---these guys make great sounding gear. Aside from the BD-2 Blues Driver and other Boss overdrives, two units from the twin pedals series that are incredibly versatile are the Amp Factory and the Drive Zone. Line 6 has their own distortion modeler and amp modeler that sound damn good.
If your wallet can take a beating, look into Hughes & Kettner, Soldano, and other incredibly overpriced manufacturers.
...and PAIA still makes stuff you can build yourself. My friend has a fuzz of theirs he built years ago that sounds just as good if not better than anything I've ever heard live.
Hope this helps...
jimbo

Back