Which DAW?

Matt Beddall

Hi my band recently got into recording our own stuff and we've completed 2 songs using cubase LE5, I'm just curious which DAW you guys would recommend if we were to invest in a new one?
We're using cubase purely because it's what we had available (free with the interface I think) are there any advantages to other DAW's that we're missing out on?
We are a four piece band (2 guitars, 2 vocals, drums, bass guitar) drums are being done on addictive drums plugin due to constraints of recording a real kit, everything else is being recorded plugged into the interface
Thanks for any advice

Thanks for the replies, so would I find the transition hard from cubase to reaper? Or are a lot of the controls the same?
And what's it going to give me that cubase doesn't?

Transition should be easy. Have no experience with Cubase, but Reaper comes with a ton of free plugins, has advanced routing and midi editing all built in. It's free to try, just do it!

Last edited:
I think all of the major ones will do what you want - try some free trials and see which one you like the feel of.

I use Cubase because that's what I first learnt on way back when, and I like it's audio editing interface and mixer interface better than the others I have tried.
Reaper is a great idea as you can start out using the full version for free and it's relatively cheap when you do have to pay for it.

Whichever one you spend the most time using will probably end up being your preference.

Whichever one you spend the most time using will probably end up being your preference.

this is probably true. and yeah, go with a few free trials. there are numerous threads on this board that discuss some of the DAW's. I'm in the minority with S1PRO, for sure.

And whichever one is your preference will probably end up being the one you spend the most time using! :)

In addition to free trials, some companies also offer free "lite" editions of their DAWs-- e.g., PreSonus Studio One 3 Prime, Sony ACID Xpress 7.0, Tracktion 4, and Zynewave Podium Free. Since they're "lite" editions (except for Tracktion 4 and Zynewave Podium Free, which are more "older" versions than "lite" editions), they won't have all the bells and whistles of the paid editions, or let you work with as many tracks, etc.-- but it's a great way to get a feel for the interface without having to worry about how many days are left in your trial period, or having popup screens nag you about registering.

And if you don't mind working "online" and having to save your projects in the cloud, there are DAWs such as the new Avid Pro Tools First.

If you work with MIDI keyboards, you might find that a DAW's MIDI-related features end up being key (pardon the pun) to the deal-making or deal-breaking process-- e.g., even though most DAWs have the ability to work with MIDI, not all of them have the ability to work with MIDI SysEx messages, or let you create "instrument files" that define all of the patches which your particular keyboards can use.

Back