Which DAW for home studio?

audeoninja

I am 16 and I make youtube covers of songs. I have a nice mic, a mixer, a computer, a keyboard, and some guitars. I've used Garageband and Multitrackstudio in the past and I like the interface of both but they are very limited in what they can do, so I am looking to upgrade. I want something that is easy to make drum and midi tracks on, has a large virtual instrument selection, and can easily record audio with a decent selection of effects. My songs are usually about half audio, half midi. I am pretty good with computers so I am willing to put in some time to figure out a program (as I will probably have to with any program), but I still want something that has a nice interface and isn't rocket science to use. I would like to keep it under $200, so these are the ones I've been looking at. I would love any suggestions on these or others you have used, thanks

Mulab Mutools - $95
Acoustica Mixcraft and Beatcraft - $115
Studio One - $200
FL Studio - $200
Cubase Elements - $100
Reason Essentials- $130

I know you can demo all of these, but I'm just not sure where to start. Also I have the money to buy a more expensive DAW, but I feel like one of these will be able to give me everything I need.

I'll add a vote for Reaper, it has full functionality plus lots of effects / etc.
I downloaded it with the purpose of using it as a notepad to lay down guitar ideas while I'm sitting around my iving room.
I've only given it a cursory once over but it is also a lot easier to get going on than protools which is my primary DAW.
I'll probably even cough up the 60 bucks to license it, people that do work to help us out like this deserve to be paid for their effort.

Sam is right. You just download it and go. It takes up very little room on your computer, and leaves no footprints if you don't like it. I've never used Cubase, but a lot of people like it. I read that it's especially good with midi. Hope this helps you. You seem like you have your head on right for a 16 year old. Just remember that none of the DAW's are easy. You have to put in some study and practice to get good results. Good luck!

Just remember that none of the DAW's are easy. You have to put in some study and practice to get good results. Good luck!

I just want to reiterate this. It's so true. Don't get discouraged if your mixes don't sound good right out of the box. Keep working at it, read and experiment.

I personally like Cubase, but it's a familiarity thing. Cubase came free with my first interface and I've upgraded since then. I think most people stick to the same family of DAW's that they first started with.

... but it's a familiarity thing... I think most people stick to the same family of DAW's that they first started with.

EXACTLY. I started on the original Cakewalk and moved to Sonar 7, then 8.5 (where I am currently). When I end up dropping coin to 'upgrade' (no reason to right now) then I'd likely go to Sonar X2 or X3. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

It's expensive to buy these to give them a cursory try. Not all the trials are full functioning or last long enough to actually get your hands dirty with them, depending on how busy your life is. Tends to be a crap shoot which one you choose and run with. The fact reaper is only $60 and works well from all accounts I've read, it would seem that's why it's becoming so popular. Try then buy.

I tried about 4 and ended up with Reaper for sometime and finally bought it. Its worked great and I was easily able to load it to a new pc too, or put it on a portable and record in another room. I am totally not a software guy, and it was easy enough.
+1 Reaper

Bravo for buying it. It is a great daw program. Not the smoothest with midi but super flexible and great for mixing and tracking. btw not affiliated just a long time user. be well.

I just want to reiterate this. It's so true. Don't get discouraged if your mixes don't sound good right out of the box. Keep working at it, read and experiment.

I personally like Cubase, but it's a familiarity thing. Cubase came free with my first interface and I've upgraded since then. I think most people stick to the same family of DAW's that they first started with.

I think you're right.

I started with Cakewalk Sonar in 2007, and nothing could tempt me away from it now

Well, I was going to start a thread like this, but then I read this one, and I'm surprised. I figured any thread asking "Which DAW?" would have a bunch of answers, evenly distributed among several different packages. Unfortunately, that sort of response wouldn't be helpful.

Instead, I find almost everybody says, "Reaper". Almost too good to be true; too simple. Just "Reaper"? Really?

Okay, sanity check: I'm a 50-something guitarist, back after a long layoff. Last recording I did was on a Tascam 246. Any recording I do will be close-mic'ed guitar amps, direct bass, sequenced drums, and vocals. Maybe some sequenced keys or extra sounds, but not much.

My daughter is into more urban/hip hop kinda stuff, so she'll need to work more in-the-box, sequences, sampled instruments, loops. That will be new territory for me; a learning experience. So, the DAW will be split between the two paradigms: old school "recording" and modern "creation".

We'll be running on a Windows 7 PC, specs to be determined (see my "What should I do...? thread.) Interface also to be determined.

So, is the answer still "Reaper", or are there other I should consider?

Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in, but I am under the impression that Reaper isn't as good at sequencing and midi stuff as some of the other DAW's out there; like Cubase, ProTools or Sonar. If you're looking to do sequencing within the DAW, then you'll need a program that does it nicely. If you will be using a stand alone sequencer and capturing just the audio from it, then Reaper is a great choice.

Like I said, hopefully someone with experience will jump in here to confirm or correct me.

Midi is pretty good in REAPER, but people often say that Cubase and Sonar are the best for midi (I used to use Cubase LE, and while I didn't do much midi with it, it seemed just as capable as Reaper, and I've written probably 60+ songs in different versions of Cakewalk and early Sonar purely with midi, so I know that's capable).

Back