which condenser?

the edzell

I’m starting my first real outside project next month. For demo’s I’ve been getting by with a Behringer B1 and AT2020 for vocals and guitar. I’m looking for a good overall condenser mic to handle lead and backing vocals (male “rocker” voice and female) and guitars. (12 and 6 string) I’ve done a lot of searches on the boards and narrowed it down to the following choices:

Audio-Technica AT4040
Rode NT1-A
Shure KSM27
Blue Bluebird
GroveTubes GT55

You guys that got one these mics weigh in. Should I go with the one you have or go with another?

I personally have had experience with the KSM27, AT4040, and GT55. I think that all three of them would be fine choices, with the GT55 probably trailing the pack a little.

The ksm27 and 4040 are going to be mics you will probably keep around for a while. They're versatile and have good build quality. One of the things you'll see is that it never hurts to have a bunch of quality mics around. You'll get to a point where neither the 27 or the 4040 would be the best choice for a certain vocalist, but they won't suck either. I would say basically pick one and then plan on picking up the other one some time down the road, as you build your mic closet.

By the way, how are you liking the 2020? How is it compared to the B1?

Jburn34 said:
By the way, how are you liking the 2020? How is it compared to the B1?

The 2020 doesn't run as hot as the B1 and seems to have a little more low end then the B1 does to me.

You seroiusly have to try some of these out on your voice. You could get lucky and find the Shure 545 does it for you ... I gave it a try and was unlucky, although it's perfect on one of my friends. Depends on what kinda sound you're after - the AT4050 is a really great mic but you might want something with more character ... in which case, you have to find the character that works for you!

I would say that none of the Rødes I've used have particularly struck me compared to the other budget options. The NT2 and NT5 in particular are not hot options IMO by comparison to some of the others around.

noisedude said:
You seroiusly have to try some of these out on your voice. You could get lucky and find the Shure 545 does it for you ... I gave it a try and was unlucky, although it's perfect on one of my friends. Depends on what kinda sound you're after - the AT4050 is a really great mic but you might want something with more character ... in which case, you have to find the character that works for you!

I would say that none of the Rødes I've used have particularly struck me compared to the other budget options. The NT2 and NT5 in particular are not hot options IMO by comparison to some of the others around.

No on the Rodes, thanks.

Well that is part of the reason I'm asking. I'm not going to sing on the project. So I don't know how each singer (there are two main ones, a female who sings like a song bird and a male who is more of a rocker) is going to sound on a mic.

I guess if worse comes to worse and he doesn't sound good on the condenser I can whip out a SM57 or 58.

the edzell said:
No on the Rodes, thanks.
The Rode mics are as good or better than many of the competitors (I.e. the SPC1 was/is a want-to-be NT1, IMO).

Anyway, I've never used the Bluebird or GT55... but both the AT4040 and KSM27 are nice mics... before you buy one, checkout both.

Finding one mic that'll do a bunch of different voices will be tough ... from my reading around I would think that either the 4040 or the KSM27 will be reasonably good at making you a clear and 'accurate' recording ... both are safe bets IMO.

the SPC1 was/is a want-to-be NT1, IMO
If you had a brain or a sense of humour, that would be laughable.

Actually, I have heard rumor that the original NT-1's and NT-2's utilized the very same capsule manufactured by 797 Audio that was also used in - you guessed it - the C-1.

So considering that the Rodes came out first and was the first to utilize the capsule, I suppose you could say that, at least originally, the C1 was a Rode wannabe of sorts.

That said, I'm sure the poster would be happy with either the Shure or the Audio Technica. Both companies just make really good-sounding mics.

noisedude said:
If you had a brain or a sense of humour, that would be laughable.
On the other hand, Keith, you have both, so I expect better from you.

You heard a rumour? I heard a rumour that Alan Hyatt designed the C1. I guess neither of us knows. So I guess you could say that you're a Voice Of Authority Wannabe, right?

I thought we'd had enough threads where you guys all concluded the C1 was a U87 wannabe anyway?! :confused: :rolleyes:

Glad we're all agreed on the ATs and Shures though. :)

noisedude said:
You heard a rumour? I heard a rumour that Alan Hyatt designed the C1. I guess neither of us knows. So I guess you could say that you're a Voice Of Authority Wannabe, right?

I suppose you could say that. Don't we all wish that we were authorities on something? :D

Anyway, if it means anything to you, I'm going off of a quote from Scott Dorsey from the Rec.audio.pro board. And if it makes any difference to you, Dorsey's a standup guy who's forgotten more about audio than most of the members on this board put together will ever know. His words are pretty close to authority, although I suppose he's made mistakes from time to time, however rare.

"The NT2 capsule is made at the 797 factory in Beijing, which is where the C1 is made. They both use the same Chinese capsule which is somewhat adapted from the original Neumann U87 design." - Scott Dorsey, from RAP board regarding C1 and NT-2 using the same capsule (July, 2002).

Kind of explains a few things, don't it?

By the way: Rode is an Australian manufacture that does their own design, assembly, and quality control ... but many (if not all) of their capsules are made by 797 audio.

chessrock said:
Dorsey's a standup guy
He's a comedian?!?!?? :confused:

I hear you, but I still think the original point that the C1 is an NT1 wannabe is a stupid one. If anything, aren't they BOTH U87 wannabes??? In fact, aren't a lot of budget mics???

If you want to get technical, Noisedude, then sure. But either way, it's not some huge stretch to call any of the budget mics a "wannabe" of something.

It's not technical. I just think it's nonsense to say one budget-priced manufacturer was trying to copy another budget-priced manufactuere. Both were trying to get as close as they could to a high-end design at a smaller production cost. The technical details are pretty much irrelevant to that IMO ... it's a logical principle and a troll's ill thought-out allegations we're discussing here.

Hypothetical example, Noisedude ... let's suppose that you and I were both big-time Air Supply fans.

So much so that you came up with an idea for an Air Supply tribute band. You did such a good job copying them -- you even found a supplier for a big, poofy afro wig and an accompanying mullet wig so that you could imitate their legendary early-80's trend setting hair styles.

Now, let's suppose I came along, and said : "Damn. That Noisedude's got a great idea. I'd like to have an Air Supply tribute band, too. I'm all out of love is just such a classic." :D

So I even do my research and find the exact same wig supplier so that my Air Supply tribute band can be as authentic as Noisedude's.

I guess what I'm getting at is that, yea, you and I are both copying Air Supply. But I'm going one further by piggybacking on your idea for the wigs and a bunch of other things you were doing. You were like the NT-2 in a lot of ways; you were the first to do the tribute band. That makes me not only an Air Supply wannabe, but a Noisedude wannabe at the same time.

I don't know. I really think my Air Supply analogy may have hit home.

He just might be a closet fan.

But then again .... Who isn't?

Attachments

• cover2.jpg
    cover2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 130
the edzell said:
You guys that got one these mics weigh in. Should I go with the one you have or go with another?
Hang on bro... sometimes it takes a little while before everyone gets back to the subject.

Chessrock - that comes pretty damn high on your all-time analogies list. I preferred you Spilt Milk Chronicles from radiorickm's Behringer thread! :)

I see your argument but my conclusion would be that whilst your Air Supply tribute band ('Oxyfan'?) is very similar to mine, it is only a wannabe of the original band. We're both fans, but not necessarily of each other.

lol

DJL said:
Hang on bro... sometimes it takes a little while before everyone gets back to the subject.

I'm hangin...... :rolleyes:

I talked to a co-worker who is in commerical production. He said the Shure27 is warmer than the other mics I mentioned.

However I found a guy selling new AT4040s for $199.00. What is it my wife says "Can't pass on a sale deer" :D

Back