Which CD-Rs for the Demo?

gumboots

I've been looking into buying CD-Rs "wholesale" online to burn demos at home in order to market my project (which is being professionaly duplicated and mastered) but am suffering some confusion. Is there any MAJOR difference between CD-R brands? I thought I could get them in bulk significantly cheaper online, but after you crunch the numbers, it works out to be cheaper to buy 5 100x spools of TDKs at Best Buy, even after sales tax. Are the ones I can get online (notably, U.S. Digital Media, 48x Silver/Silver CD-Rs) any better than your average retail packs? I've already spent the big money on duping and mastering. Does it matter if the demos are not premo? Or are your average TDKs and Memorexes a big "no no" in this area?

Also, any tips on inkjet printable CD-R labels would be helpful. Any bang-for-the-buck deals worth mentioning? Just looking to print text, nothing fancy -- again, for the demo. Kits that ensure the labels go on smoothly? What's the deal with the "matte finish" labels?

Thanks for any help. This BBS has always provided a wealth of info!

Hey Gumboots,

Why don't you have a duplicating house do your CD? They'll take your master, duplicate it on some quality CDRs, and thermal-print your text onto the disc...name, the name of the CD, a list of tracks, copyright info, etc. Looks absolutely pro!

I just did a deal with Musician's Friend (DiskFactory) and they turned out great. In fact, I did my whole deal online. Takes a while to upload that way, but it's possible. If you don't want to spend hours uploading, just send 'em a master CD. The turnaround time was only a few days.

It figures out to be $395 for 500 CDs. Around the cost of your CDRs and an injet printer, I'd bet, but a LOT less work, especially if you have wild ideas about burning and printing them all yourself!

:cool:

Thanks for the tip! That diskfaktory site is excellent. Only trouble is, I already bought the inkjet. I suppose I'll have to chalk that up to personal expense! :p
Thanks again!

Back