Which Cakewalk would suit my needs better?

FenderKid29

This probably sounds like a stupid question. I upgraded from HS2002 to 04 recently and I love the program. But I've only just begun the recording process. I'm very new to all of this and I've seen everyone ranting about Sonar. I've played guitar for almost 13 years now and play a mix of stuff. I mainly compose a lot of acoustic/percussion style stuff. But every now and then I like to throw in a little electric soloing for the mix. But I think even the newest newb can figure out how to press record and lower the volume of th e different tracks. My question is what program would more suit my needs. I'm also looking to add some pretty realistic sounding drums to my works but don't even know where to begin at all with that one. The last time I added drums, I used a 200 keyboard that was plugged into my Audigy 2 Plat in the front face plate. Any suggestions are welcome here guys...Thanks

I use Cakewalk HS 2004, and I am very happy with the results I have been getting. I am in the same boat as you are: I am a singer songwriter/guitar player/crappy bass player. But I make due with the talents I have. One thing I dont have is a REAL drummer to lay down REAL drum tracks for me. I Have been using Fruity Loops for all of my drums on all of my songs. And just recently I was turned onto "Drum Kit from Hell". I use the DKH wave samples in Fruity Loops. DKH has improved my drum sound by 100000%. I would recommend this as an option to anyone in the same situation as I am in.

check it out. you can listen to demos on the website and decide if it is for you.

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=TT100

Good luck.

Steven

I'll have to give DKH a try. You'll probably thinks this sounds stupid, but I tried Fruity Loops but I have a hard time creating good beats along with my music, because I don't know how to run them along with Home Studio, and the timing is way off because of this. I definetly need some help with how to use FL but like I said I'll give DKH a try. Are there any websites for tutorials for FL and DKH, I need all the help I can get with making drum tracks. Especially to have the right timing for my Home Studio tracks. As you all can see, I'm a real newb. (know guitar really well, Can sing decent "I hope", Play piano here and there, don't have drums, but have a really powerful computer, Have 2 good programs I purchased for recording and no epxerience in home producing besides making the metronome play in twice, hitting record "on each single track that is...hehe", and finally playing them all together and transferring them to a cd. Yeah, I newb fits! lol Thanks again though...
-Andy

Do you have the full version of fruity loops?

I would definately recommend going through the tutorials that they have in fruity loops.

When I am finished writing a song, I go into fruity loops and make the drum track. When it is finished I export it as a wave file. Then I open cakewalk, create a new song and import the wave onto track number 1. Then I start recording my guitars,bass and vocals.

Hope that helps.

Steven

Sonar is the flagship Cakewalk product.

If you don't want to pay that much, Guitar Tracks Pro is a good option, if you intend recording audio only and no midi.

GT Pro lets you record from multi channel sound cards, 32 tracks, 24bit/96Khz, comes with a full set of effects plug ins / dynamics processing and you can import fruity loops or other audio. It's a lot cheaper than Sonar

Bulls Hit said:
If you don't want to pay that much, Guitar Tracks Pro is a good option, if you intend recording audio only and no midi.
He already has HS2004... :rolleyes:

Hey, FenderKid!

There just was a bunch of threads on how to use FL with HS/Sonar. You should do a search and see what turns up.

But I personally recommend DFH and DR-008 for drums. :)

Thanks guys, I'm going to give DKH a try and see how that turns out. And I'll have to do some more searching for threads on using FL with HS. But anyways, thanks again guys...you guys are great!
-Andy

imalion said:

When I am finished writing a song, I go into fruity loops and make the drum track. When it is finished I export it as a wave file. Then I open cakewalk, create a new song and import the wave onto track number 1. Then I start recording my guitars,bass and vocals.

Steven

When you say finished writing a song, ore you talking about on paper? So you have a bunch of lyrics, and a drum beat already in your head??
Or do you mean you have your ideas in HS2004, you close Sonar, then open fruity, build your drums, then come back to HS2004, and work on the parts??

Another question. does HS2004 come with DR-008? If so, why would you do your drum beats in FL and not with the DR-008?

Any sample-player will do, you don't need DR-008 specificly. Try the VST sampler that comes with Computer Music.

It works almost like DR-008 (but you need to create the drum-map yourself).

Back