Which cables to connect microphone(s) to HD camcorder

Cheddar75

Hi all :)

I am looking to buy some cables to connect a Panasonic HDC-SD900 camcorder with 3.5mm stereo mic input in the following configurations with the least possible chance of interference. The microphones we have are the Audio Technica Pro 70 condenser lavalier ones, with XLR outputs.

We will be using the cables for:

1. in-car filming (approx 2m cable length from user(s) to camcorder mic input), with the possibility of either one or two microphones being used at the same time.
2. studio filming (approx 5m cable length from user(s) to camcorder mic input), with the possibility of either one or two microphones being used at the same time.

I found the Die Hard Twin Female XLR to 3.5mm minijack cable (5.0M) – Part No. DH590LU5, and although this would do the job for 2 (above) without any additional adaptors, I am assuming it is only suitable for when we have two microphones (otherwise a one microphone configuration will only record on one channel)? I am not sure if this would be a problem, seeing as though I could probably manipulate the audio in Adobe Premiere to be on both L and R channels? Nor am I sure how the quality is affected by using a dual cable for just one mic?

In the meantime, I have also been looking at buying 2 x Proel Die Hard DH220LU2 2M Female XLR to Balanced 6.3mm Jack Cable (which would do for both jobs above, on a one or two microphone configuration), a mini-jack extension (possibly the Die Hard 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack extension (3.0M)?) and some form of 3.5mm stereo adaptor plug to 2 x 6mm sockets.

Could someone suggest which cables and adaptors would be best for the job, with the best quality? I have only been looking at the Proel Die Hard range since I have heard good things about their quality, but please suggest any make, as I'm really not that fussed if it does the bext job :D I am keen to order them over the next day or so.

Hope you can help – I am not that technically-minded when it comes to this, so any advice you can offer would be VERY much appreciated! THANKS!

You'll definitely need what wheelema posted. *IF* you can't afford that route you can still get a signal w/ an adapter, but I wouldn't recommend it. There's too great of a chance of too hot of a signal getting into the camera, then it's going to be nothing but over-distorted. Nothing's worse IMO than having solid HD picture w/ 1972 tape-recorder audio. Is why when I upgraded my camera, I got something w/ XLR inputs so I could run condensers.

Also...if you're getting into video...make sure you bookmark the main site that was linked. B&H is one of the best sources (pricepoint wise) for video equipment. I haven't looked into their audio stuff, but if anything like video...damn good overall company.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the replies. Wow, I never realised I would need this? On this Youtube video, this guy has one mic which goes straight into his 3.5mm socket from the XLR output? (Can't post links, but search for "Audio-Technica Pro 70 / Lavalier Mic Unboxing and Test" on Youtube and it's the top link - FF to 11 mins and you'll see his simple setup)

Is it because I want to use two microphones that I need an adaptor? :cool:

Hi,

Thanks very much for the replies. Wow, I never realised I would need this? On this Youtube video, this guy has one mic which goes straight into his 3.5mm socket from the XLR output? (Can't post links, but search for "Audio-Technica Pro 70 / Lavalier Mic Unboxing and Test" on Youtube and it's the top link - FF to 11 mins and you'll see his simple setup)

Is it because I want to use two microphones that I need an adaptor? :cool:

Partly yes, but as Ghostred pointed out you can't set audio levels in the lower end camcorders and you can't use condensers. I personally will be using a USBPre 2 in standalone which will feed both the camcorder and a separate digital recorder.

Luck.

Ah right ok, thanks - this particular camcorder has a microphone level setting, so I am hoping that will do the job for what I need at the moment. Of course, if it doesn't work, then I may need to upgrade to an adaptor :D

With this in mind, which cables will I need to connect my two microphones to the 3.5mm input? Any ideas? :cool:

Back