Which bass DI?

twostone

I'm in the market for a decent bass DI so far I've only seen Sansamp and Hartke which one would be better for recording they both seem to do the same thing or is there other bass DI units I'm missing? Thanks

DI stands for Direct Injection, and there are a lot of different types of DI units. Some are passive, some are active, some include a preamp stage, some have amp/cabinet simulators/modelers. You really need to tell us exactly what type you need.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Groove Tubes "The Brick," which is a tube preamp with an excellent DI (GT also makes the Ditto, which is just the DI, without th mic preamp).

i'm a huge fan of the sansamp bass driver. i'd go that route. it stands up to a U5 and my 1272 and 312...though the 312 is pretty sweet.

anyway - i'd go that route. it's in the beeg leagues for less money. :eek:

Mike

The Sansamp is as close as I have come to getting the perfect bass tone. I also use it with my tired Yorkville combo amp live and it does amazing things to the sound of my bass through that amp.

bilco

I use a Focusrite Tone Factory for a DI. You can use it as a mic pre but It's mainly gear for an intrument pre. I has a a filter stage, compressor, eq., para eq and a gate. It has worked very well for me. It also so has a line out for monitoring as well as a main out to your A/D converter. They are out of production but you can find them on ebay from time to time.

sans amp bass di is the shit, run it through a distressor compresor, best sound ever (as long as you have a good bass with good preamp and can play)

-C$

Bloodsoaked said:
Would the Bass V-amp Pro be concidered the same thing?
isnt that teh berhinger crap? if it is.. no... the v-amp will make alot more noise and it def wont be as clean. Im pretty sure thats just a cheap rip off of a lin3-6 pod

Thanks guys all I need to do is just record a decent bass guitar track I've tried those so called POD type things they suck as for as sound quality. Just wanted to know more about the Sansamp since I heard they were great for getting a fat bass tone recorded.

The SansAmp is a freakin wonderul thing, get the new selectable channel one though. Plug it in and record, it's that good (but first compress the snot out of it)

Well guys you convince me to buy a Sansamp Bass DI I appreciate the suggestion hope I have good results with it, and I thought the compression comes after tracking not before riffy that's what I read most people do.

I have a Behri V-Tone BASS BDI21 & it's actually quite good.
It's cheap, it's better built than almost all Behri pedals, IT WORKS & it's quite versatile.
I know it's daggy but needs must.
I prefer mic'ing, & have bass effects etc that can do the job at a pinch but just for the balanced DI thing it's quite good. The amp modelling's OK. They don't attempt to go the tweed, etc pseudo brand stuff but I can actually dial up something I like rather than go designer labelling.

I used to hate the D.I (instrument input) in my firepod.
and I was looking for a good D.I.

But then I tried a couple of great basses on my Firepod, and voila I had the sound I wanted.

Btw Basses tried were Fender Pre and Jazz.

Before that I had only tried cheap basses.

So getting a good Bass with good mikes will take you far, at least for me it did :)

Back