Which audio interface to this configuration?

jerzydrimmtimm

Hi Everyone!
I am looking for audio interface firewire or USB, the simpler the better BUT not in terms of quality. What I mean is that i need simply 2-channel thing, possibly without preamp, but not necessarily very budget. I have now Behringer FCA202 interface and I am very unhappy with the sound. Kind of harsh and lifeless, so I guess it is mayby convertion to digital issue.
I record some electric guitars DI and vocals RODE NT1A -> GAP PRE73 -> this behringer, also samples and VST
What would be the best option in similar to NT1A/PRE73 price-quality range?

please advice
thanks a lot!

Jerry

I have now Behringer FCA202 interface and I am very unhappy with the sound. Kind of harsh and lifeless, so I guess it is mayby convertion to digital issue.

Your interface might be the problem, but that's unlikely. There's a simple test you can do to confirm the quality: Record the output of a CD player or other source of music through your converter, then play both the original and recorded copy back at exactly the same volume. Matching volumes is critical! If they both sound the same, there's your answer. More here:

Converter Loop-Back Tests
Converter Comparison

--Ethan

I was meaning it doesn't have the typical XLR preamp inputs and other things added... the FCA202 just has the Line In, which is all that's needed when using the GAP. I thought it looked efficient and simplified, which I like for that reason. I didn't know anyone made a product like that.

I only use the LINE IN on one of my interfaces too, using it for the convertor only to USB, with an outboard pre, like your doing.
But it has all the other things on it I don't use.

Similar to a Apogee DUET I guess, but the FCA is a lot cheaper.

Back