Which and what should i get first?

caseybasichis

Hi,
Im planning on buying a new mic and pre, I'm hoping to spend around $1000 for the pre and anywhere between $1000 to $1600 for the mic. I currently have a m-audio solaris and a sm-57 that I run through an old mackie 1402 vlz pro.

My questions are, should i get the pre or the mic first? I wont be able to buy them at the same time and there could be severl months inbetween the purchases.

As far as the pre's, I was looking at the GREAT RIVER ME-1NV and the A Designs MP-1 Tube Mic Pre/DI. I am going to be recording mostly soft, airy male vocals with occasional light screaming, and acoustic guitar, although the vocals are my main concern. They will usually sit in a very dense, noisy, electronic mix but there are a fair amount of parts that are just acoustic guitar and voice.

And for the microphone... I understand the Soundelux 195 is very good, how does that compare to the ifet7 and the u99 for vocals? I was also looking at the neumann tlm 103 but any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Casey

Either one first will be an improvement... and a better mic first is the way I'd go... but, a better preamp first could also bring that SM57 to life.

I would buy a pre first, and for vox and acoustic guit you should consider a John Hardy M1. I was going to link you to the Listening Sessions, but it looks like the website is gone.

I own an A Designs MP-2 and I love it. It took me forever to decide which one I wanted as I did a ton of research. I am very happy with my decision. I had narrowed my search down to the MP-2, the GR MP-2NV, the John Hardy M-1 and the Avalon AD2022. The A Designs won out...here's why:

All of my mics are solid state (that is, I do not yet own a tube mic). The MP-2 is a tube pre that is VERY subtle. So subtle, in fact, that you can track an entire song with it and not have to worry about the tube getting in the way. It is also subtle enough to run a tube mic through it and not have it be too much. (I do plan on adding a John Hardy in the future, though).

As for mics, I also own a Nuemann TLM103. I like it. However, if I was to spend what you said you were looking to spend on a mic, I would probably go with the U87. Another option would be this (which is what I did), go for 2 mics. I not only own the TLM103, but I also bought an AKG C414 B-ULS. That would open up your options considerably...

I think the mic first will have a bigger impact, but you will never fully realize how nice the mic is until you put a good preamp on it. Personally, I thik the Ifet and U99's sound a little better, but also cost more. Either way I think Soundelux mics are an excellent bargain. I also like your choice in preamps. I think the Great River may offer more flexibility than the others you listed, but all of them would be awesome mic pre's to own. Sounds like you have a real win win situation going on right now:) What might be good is for you to buy your premp first though and then drop about $200 into a cheap SP mic or something along those lines. That would get you much farther along than just the sm57, and you may even be able to still use the cheap mic in the future. I just wouldn't spend too much on the cheap mic so you can get your Soundelux sooner:D

The mic will make a bigger difference than the mic pre, so I would get that first.

I recomennd checking out the Audio Technical tube 4060. Used it will cost you less than $1000. I cactually like it better than the Soundelux.

Back