Which 16 track Recorder??

The Ghost of FM said:
acorec,

Are you suggesting that the Fostex 16 track recorders have no relays in them?

If so, how do they accomplish the task of switching 16 channels of circuitry from monitoring input and switching to the head's output?

Cheers! :)

They use electronic switching = no mechanical relays. This was one of the biggest drawbacks to the Tascam design. If you ever have funny problems with tracks not recording/playing, then look at cleaning the relays (which is an extreme pain in the ass). AT the end of my Tascam's life, I had to clean these things often till some of them finally gave up.

gilwe said:
interesting point..... are relays easy to replace ?

Each channel card has 2 of them. They are easy to replace (for a qualified tech), but they are like $25 each. I gave up on mine because the Tascam had way more problems by the time I switched to the Fostex. People can say what they want, but the Fostex E-16 is one bitch'in machine. I still have mine and the only work it needs after 15 years is head relapping. Everything else works as new.

but the Fostex E-16 is one bitch'in machine

My Fostex M80 8 track is awesome sounding.

I must agree with Han, which said once that his Fostex sounds better than his Tascam.

I checked the MSR-16 I considered to buy. It has a great sound, but not as warm as my Fostex. The Fostex is fatter.

Considering it being in bad condition, I think I'm gonna look for another deal.

It's a tough choice between the MSR-16 and the E-16. For the extra tracks I would take an E-16 over the TSR-8, even though the TSR-8 slightly out specs both the E-16 and MSR-16. But the MSR-16 would edge out the E-16 if I had to make a choice for 16 trackers.

One bad rap on the E-16 is flimsy tension arms which are easily bent with the machine's somewhat choppy transport if the tape isn't threaded tightly. The computer-controlled transport on the MSR-16 avoids these problems.

The MSR-16 has headroom to burn and an incredibly smooth transport. In some respects it might really come down to a contest between Dolby C and dbx.

And even though the 40 S&W can be loaded with a heavier bullet, The 115 grain 9mm +p has documented stopping power on par with the 125 grain 357 magnum semi-jacketed hollow point ( Oh shit, wrong discussion board -- sorry about that). :D

In the final analysis though I don't think anyone should feel deprived with either one of these machines. Long live analog!

:cool:

Last edited:
... and it looks like the Fostex are much "simpler" machines...

The MSR looks like it has many more functions while the E-16 looks just like my M80 only with the extra 8 tracks.

An ATR-60-16 with new heads and a spare for $500 is a great deal. Unless there are some faulty cards that need replacing. Mine wasn't used a whole lot so it was a little dirty from dust and stuff, but everything else was perfect. I wish I had the auto-locator though. Someday I might calibrate it.

SoMm

SoMm, Are you saying you got the machine and extra heads for $500?!?!
Man, I thought I got a great deal at $1000. Well at least I got the remote with mine.
I'm gonna convert mine to a two inch 16 track just to freak you guys out!

...or not...

No.... He is talking about the Tascam I found for 500$ with a spare mint head. Not sure which model it is as the seller seems to "not know" the exact model, while another guy in the studio said there was "85-15B" writing somewhere on it....

Anyhow, someone has already gave them some of the money for reservation... I'll see what I can do about it ;)

It sounds like a great deal.

although I found that as time pass these machines are being offered for less money !

Should I wait and get a Studer ?
:D

jake-owa said:
SoMm, Are you saying you got the machine and extra heads for $500?!?!
Man, I thought I got a great deal at $1000. Well at least I got the remote with mine.
I'm gonna convert mine to a two inch 16 track just to freak you guys out!

...or not...
I paid $1500 for mine, shipping bumped it up to nearly $2000, but well worth the investment. Its sounds reeeaally good. But you already know that :) I gotta get me a new desk for it though.. The loaner is on the fritz:mad:

Anyone have a AQ-65 they don't want?

SoMm

Son of Mixerman said:
Anyone have a AQ-65 they don't want?

SoMm
Eight months ago, I would have traded you my AQ65 for an RC65 as mine was on the fritz and going berserk! But, I got some great help on the old TASCAM bbs before it got shut down and fixed up a bad cap in the power supply and now, I wouldn't sell at any price!:p

Sorry.

Cheers! :)

Make no mistake

The Fostex G series machines are the best sounding narrow track machines ever made. They are electronically superior to the Tascam machines.

In fact a Fostex G24 (24 tracks on one inch tape with Dolby S) is better sounding than half of the two inch machines.
It sounds also better that the G16 because the 16 has less bandwidth.

But.......................................................................the Tascam MSR machines are rock solid, built like a tank and very reliable.
Plus......................................................................the heads of a Fostex wear faster and the parts are very hard to find and expensive, if not unavailable anymore.

So, my personal choice would be a Tascam, for it sounds almost as good and it runs like a charm.

Cheers, Han

Back