Whether to buy 2nd portastudio?

england

I recently bought a 424 Mk III and love it! I have a chance to buy a 'used' 414 which has
not really been used at all. Would it be useful? I have seen posts about bouncing with
two machines but am wondering if that entails recording tracks on the 414 then transferring from the RCA line out to the sub in on the 424 and where would that signal go? Colour me confused! Thanx

I can't really say if its a good idea, but I'll tell you how I've used 2 of em.

Recorded a stereo mix of bass 'n drums plus a dedicated guitar and vocal track. Took direct tape track outs back into a mixer and mixed down to stereo on the other 4 tr. Then overdubbed 2 more onto that tape. I suppose its a better situation than bouncing on 1 machine, for the sake of control and quality. Still, its less than divine.
BTW One machine was mine, the other belonged to a friend. There are a lot of things I'd buy before another porta.-lzb

I'd go for a unit with more tracks before getting another 4-track.
You could probably sell the 424 and buy an 8-track with little difference in cost than two 424s.

I prefer bouncing within a machine - far cleaner. Track to track bounce means a shorter path travelled (electronically), and thereby less noise - something I consider important (and why I usually avoid bouncing altogether, to avoid generation loss).

D.

[This message has been edited by Dex (edited 05-21-2000).]

Howdy England,
I must say your idea is a sound one. That's the same kind of mixing that the BEATLES used way back in the 60's. Their first recordings were all done by Ebstein on single track 7" reels. Then over dubbed to death to get the sound they wanted. But the generation loss is sever. Although the 414 is a nice unit with a smaller foot print makes it a good field unit. So if I were you I would by the 414 for that reason. But not for bouncing and mixing. But F.Y.I. The tapes that are recorded on a 414 will play on a 424. My suggestion would be for you to record the 424 tapes into your computer and mix them there. It's not that difficult and you won't have any generation loss.

I hope this helps.

GRIZ :cool:

[This message has been edited by Grizzly (edited 05-22-2000).]

I don't want to come off like a smart-ass here or anything, but I'd like to clarify a few things.

First, it was Brian Epstein, and he was the Beatles' manager. It was George Martin who was their producer. And they recorded to a 4 track reel-to-reel and then bouced to 2 tracks of another 4 track tape on another machine. During the recording of the White Album, they began using 8 track machines, and used them for the rest of their career together.

As far as getting another tape 4 track, sorry, but it's a BAD idea! Get rid of the one you have now, and get at LEAST an 8 track recorder. 16 tracks is better, 24 tracks (what I have) is really nice. And go digital, by all means. Tape has served people well in the past, but that's where it belongs for most practical purposes.

I started off with a cassette 4 track, and it was cool for the first 6 months and then I wanted ANYTHING more. I now have 24 tracks of digital recording and it's GREAT! Get rid of that tape 4 track and step into the light! Actually, keep the tape 4 track you do have. It will come in handy for a few things here and there (backwards recording, etc...).

Check out a used Roland VS880EX or something at least. You will have the capabilities to burn CDs directly off of that machine. You can't go wrong there!

Thanks for everyone's input. I have already gotten over the 'enticement' of a new, un-used 414 for $150. Instead, I bought a mixer with pre-amps in order to decrease the amount of noise from the 424. Its worked out GREAT! I am also aware of the existence of a digital realm but am an 'oldster' who understands analogue and is quite content with that format at preent. I did check out the Roland 880 and it looks like something I might enjoy in the future. Thanks.

Back