Where to Shop?? New England

HeavyDluxe

Hi all...

Thanks so much for the many responses (posted and otherwise) regarding my previous thread. Since y'all were such a huge help, I feel compelled to get some advice one more time.

I'm a recent transplant to Vermont... Previously, I lived in and around Philly. Oneof the cool things about being down there was the fact that you had so many options for music stores to visit and check out/buy new gear. There were numerous GuitarCtr/SamAsh megastores with everything you could want and small corner stores with all kinds of niche stuff.

I'd like to hit a handful of good music stores up here and put hands on some gear (guitar and recording). A couple of other friends have asked to tag along. The local stores I've visited are nice for buying reeds or strings, but that's about it. And I have no idea where else in the region - we're willing to drive - would be good to focus. There are some GuitarCtrs down in Massachusetts, but I know that some of the chain stores are great and others are not-so-cool... I've got no idea what is what up here.

Is there anyone here from the metro-Boston area or NH/VT that could suggest two or three really solid places so we can waste a day and spend some $$?

Any help appreciated! Thanks so much!

Bmaj7(#11)-ingly, Dluxe

check out daddy's junky music. they sell used (and new) stuff. they're a regional chain. there are a bunch of locations in the metro area, but there's one in NH also, on one of the border towns. www.daddys.com is their site. um, i'm trying to think of any other cool place. there's a guitar center in natick/framingham. there was this one shop in cambridge on Mass ave that I liked, at porter square, if that means anything to you yet (it's a stop on the red line should you ever go and take the T). i moved out to MO 10 months ago after spending all of my previous 24 years in MA, so I miss the area. Hope you're not an eagles fan, in that case we can't be friends for the next week :) good luck with the gear shopping.

Yo Deluxe! Tell me what you want to buy, and I can probably help, at least in the Boston area. And- if you want to do extensive pro audio shopping, and you want brick and Mortar- you need Boston or NYC. I can get you some great deals on Oktava mics. For high end gear, talk to Parson's Audio in Wellesley, MA, or Mercenary Audio in Canton, run by the board's own Fletcher. Both are reputable dealers who provide good service and top flight gear. If you're a bottom feeder, or just want to slum it, come on down and visit. I'll take you shopping at the Natick, MA Guitar Satan, where I have a wee bit of pull. They'll sell me stuff cheap just to make me go away. Send me a PM or an email. Maybe you'd like to see my little digs.? jam, etc.-Richie

Pro audio - check out parsons - Proaudio design is around the area too.

Plenty of GCs, the GC pro guys aren't too bad, you can visit their digs at their warehouse though I haven't bought from them. GC boston moved the most merch of any GC in the country a few holidays ago, they seem to be the most flexible with their prices. I found the other GCs were just horrible.

I like the idea of Daddys, but almost everything I bought there broke.

There are some small great guitar shops, ask around, avoid the chains.

Thanks all for the posts... I appreciate the help. Instead of sending multiple replies, I'll try to hit each of you in order...

PHILPEREIRA -- Well, I moved from Philly, but I am far from an Eagles fan. I'll be pulling for the Pats with 10 friends on Sunday!

RICHARD MONROE -- Thanks... I was definately thinking Boston, just not sure who was good up here. I *was* a pro reed player, so I know Rayburn music in Boston pretty well. But that was it. When I wind up making the trip, I'll try to shoot you a note.

BOINGO -- I'm in Windsor over on the NH line. The reason I was planning to head south instead of north (towards you) was simple density. If I drive south the same distance towards Boston, I figured I could hit a couple really big places in one trip. The wife doesn't let me out that often ;-) That said, I can be persuaded to head up to Burlington too. :)

JAMJON -- Yeah, I was kinda leaning towards hitting GC. I worked for Ash in PA and enjoy the whole 'superstore' thing. The other thing is I want a lot of stuff under hte minimal number of roofs. It seems that the Daddy's stores are a little smaller... Sounds worth a visit though. Thanks for the tip on Parsons.

and lastly -- NYMorningstar -- Thanks for the tips. Nice to know I can head west for good buys too! :)

Thanks to one and all.

Back