Where to get cheap Racks...

PannyDeters

I need a rack.

I was leaning towards the 10 space over 6 space from Mars for around $120-150.

I figured I could put a shelf on the first or second vertical space and set my Tascam 414 on it (since it's not rack mountable) and rack my outboard gear underneath it.

Will this work?

Also, should I buy a rack or just buy some wood, nails, and rails and build it myself?

It's gonna be in my bedroom most of the time and occasionally taken over to friends houses to record.

Thanks

DP

Building a rack can be one of the easiest studio projects you can try (obviously depending on how pretty you need it to be). Rack rails can be purchased at any music supply house and wood can be purchased (well you can figure that one out).

Obviously if you want to miter the edges and put corner guards on it becomes a little more of a project.

My first "home made racks" were made from particle board (like the cheap shelving) and took me only 2 hours to build 3-12 space racks. I probably had less than $70 into the whole project.

Eventually as the studio made more money (and I had "marketing execs" coming in) I had to get better racks, but I still use those original racks in a storage closet as "book shelfs" for all the tech manuals.

Do rack-mount computers fit in the same size racks as the ones listed here? I ordered a Q10, and I plan to order a rack-mount computer, and I think it'd be convenient and cool-lookin' if I mounted them together.

I did notice in the Q10 manual, though, that it should not be mounted "near" the computer or monitor, because of possible interference...

Thoughts? Thanks!

-j

Back