Where Might One Rent an XLR Splitter?

ermghoti

In Massachusetts? Seems like the way to go for multitrack recording at live venues, but I don't have $3-4000 lying around in petty cash. I could easily bill clients for the thing, I'm trying to recoup plenty of crap I bought already.

ya might check with local video production co's they might rent to you on a need basis... depending on # of channels... you could try other studios but they're gonna rent you something to take work from them???? yeah right...

I assume Boston has at least some off-off-Broadway or Blue Man Group franchise they need to keep happy :). Look up Stage and Theatre Supply or rental also, those are great places to rent stage and live show gear.

G.

You should also be able to purchase a 24 channel splitter for about $500 or $600. Typically, rental on one like that would be about $100 a day. If you want it transformer isolated though the cost definately goes up.

I can sell one for about that price if I remeber right (it has been one year since the last 24 channel split snake I sold. Once again though, if you want transformer isolation the cost goes up and can be really expensive depending on which transformers are used. The one I can sold is a basic one with a 15 foot trunk, a 25 foot trunk, and a 24 channel stage box.

It's a multi-wire XLR interconnection of varying length typically used in a live setting to split balanced signals to two separate destinations, for example the front of house console and a recording setup.

ssscientist said:
It's a multi-wire XLR interconnection of varying length typically used in a live setting to split balanced signals to two separate destinations, for example the front of house console and a recording setup.

Okay... so it's a glorified snake? :confused:

bigwillz24 said:
Okay... so it's a glorified snake? :confused:
It's not a snake. It's more like a mixer or a patch box with a transformer for mics used to split a male XLR input to two XLR outputs or to isolate a balanced line for buzz or hum elimination. It's used with a snake.

NYMorningstar said:
It's more like a mixer or a patch box with a transformer for mics used to split a male XLR input to two XLR outputs or to isolate a balanced line for buzz or hum elimination.
It's not a 'mixer' and it's not a 'patch box'.

It's a type of snake that is specifically made to split a signal to two separate destinations.

A nice byproduct of it's use might be buzz or hum elimination but that's by no means it's primary function.

ssscientist said:
It's not a 'mixer' and it's not a 'patch box'.

It's a type of snake that is specifically made to split a signal to two separate destinations.

A nice byproduct of it's use might be buzz or hum elimination but that's by no means it's primary function.

Sorry for the misunderstanding but the term snake always had to do with cabling in my realms.

To make this simple... An "XLR Splitter" is just that. It is something that takes an xlr input and feeds it to two different xlr outputs. This can be a single "y cable", it can be built into a box or housing, or for many larger channel count ones it can be setup in a "snake" fashion. The most affordable 24 channel one is just a snake box with two tails of whatever length you want. It can be a stage box, or it can also be rackmountable. The two (or more) trunks can be varying in length and can also be wiored on disconnects at either or both ends for convenience and logistical purposes, but this greatly increases the cost. It can have ground lifts on every channel if desired, and can also have Neutrik transformers on each channel for an additional expense or for considerably more, it can have Jensen transformers. Using the transformers can help many issues. It helps the channels not reference anything between the varying cable ends (like mixer gain changes, phantom power etc...) and also helps to isolate AC issues caused by the two or more different systems being run from power with slightly different or conflicting grounds. Hope that helps some:)

xstatic said:
You should also be able to purchase a 24 channel splitter for about $500 or $600. Typically, rental on one like that would be about $100 a day. If you want it transformer isolated though the cost definately goes up.
I bought my 24 channel splitter-Whirlwind Medusa, with 150 and 100 foot tails for $1150.00. 500/600 seem cheap.

Last edited:
Thats because 500 or 600 is cheap. The medusa you are talking about has much onger tails for one, and you had to pay retail for it. Those two things combined would explain the higher expense. I would put the quality of these up against the whirlwinds any day though:)

xstatic said:
Thats because 500 or 600 is cheap. The medusa you are talking about has much onger tails for one, and you had to pay retail for it. Those two things combined would explain the higher expense. I would put the quality of these up against the whirlwinds any day though:)
What brand are you selling for 500/600 bucks? Unless one is a dealor we are going to pay retail :confused:

Back