Where is that verb/echo in the mix????

iwantmypie

I've been working on a project recently for a friends band and everything is recorded and sounds pretty damn good (just a demo, nothing too serious). Anyways I thought the vocals sounded pretty dry so I added some reverb and echo to them to liven them up a bit. Problem is I can hardly tell there is any when listening to the vocals with the rest of the mix. When I solo the vocals it sounds really good. When I try turning the levels up and what not it starts to turn the whole mix a little funky (in a bad way). Any thoughts on how to make these effects a little more noticeable?? I dunno if it'd be an EQ thing or not. The vocals themself stand out very nicely but again I'd like to get some of that reverb/echo in order. Thanks!

My 2c... Make sure the verb/echo doesn't fill in too much low-mid frequencies that muddy mixes. I also take of the really high end eq to save it sounding too unnatural. (Something to be careful of if you use cheap pres as they tend to build up very quickly)

Maybe think about using a stereo delay - using different delays in each ear. Keep it minimal and it can add some interest (depends how much of an effect you want).

Oh, and I never add reverb or eq on a solo'd track. Who cares if it sounds good solo'd... it's all in the mix!

Pie, flip your question inside-out. If you remove the verb from the vocal, can you hear it "missing" from the mix? In other words, you may not be able to "hear" the verb in the mix but you'll notice when it's gone. That happens rather often and is often a good sign. It is also one of the pragmatic roots behind the old saying, "if you can hear the reverb, it's too much."

If, OTOH, taking the verb out has no effect whatsoever, then yeah, the verb is not doing anything good for you.

G.

if it sounds good why ruin it? I can't stand when you can actually "hear" the reverb on a particular instrument. its like instant cheese.

The best effects are often ones that you don't really hear as being there, but as soon as they are switched off you go "hey, what happened?"

In short, subtlety is key. Especially for vocals. You don't want that "wet" sound because in a lot of ways it makes things seem a lot like a demo, or the guy can't sing (because the oldest trick in the book is to drown feeble singers in 'verb... or autotune 'em to death).

Cloneboy Studio said:
In short, subtlety is key. Especially for vocals. You don't want that "wet" sound because in a lot of ways it makes things seem a lot like a demo, or the guy can't sing.
Yep. Which is exactly why we all think we can sing in the shower. That is a really wet sound, more ways than one. :D

G.

Back