Where do you pan bussed reverbs?

rbnalv7

Where do you pan your buss reverbs? On a stereo aux track and hit them wide, or inbetween? Or keep it mono and where?

Not something I've thought about, as I'm trying to make something slightly more ambient nowadays :)

I mostly use stereo reverbs, so there's no panning...it's just a full L/R stereo image.

On the occasion where I use a more track specific reverb that I want to keep narrow or mono-ish...I'll pan it where the track is panned....but then I have done some where I'll pan to the opposite side, same relative position, if I have like two similar tracks, and then I'll do the same for the other track. So it's like...Track 1 dry-10:00, reverb-2:00. and Track 2 dry 2:00, reverb 10:00...or something like that...
...but mostly it's a stereo reverb when I have multiple instruments using the reverb, and then I'll pan the dry tracks where they need to go, but the reverb is just the full stereo spread. IOW...the reverb is the "space", and the dry tracks are placed in the space...I'm not placing the reverb in the "space".

Sometimes verb with control for width is nice to have -less center/wider more in the wings', or tucked more up the center. Even mono can be useful.
If it's primarily for one inst, as Miro said, yes it can be set (used) as sort of opposite side' reflection.
Oddly, I found several patches in the Lex Native that are flat out out of center balance- needing pan correction on the bus [scratches head..]. Other than that (or those two types of situations.. generally no panning.

I mostly use stereo reverbs, so there's no panning...it's just a full L/R stereo image.

Ditto.

But as Miroslav says, there's no hard and fast rule-it depends on what sounds right on each individual case.

However, think of it this way. If you're standing in a large, reverberant room and shouted, you r voice would come from a single point but the reverb seems to come from all around you. That's why anything other than Stereo L/R is a "special effect" not a natural sound.

Ditto.

But as Miroslav says, there's no hard and fast rule-it depends on what sounds right on each individual case.

However, think of it this way. If you're standing in a large, reverberant room and shouted, you r voice would come from a single point but the reverb seems to come from all around you. That's why anything other than Stereo L/R is a "special effect" not a natural sound.

All this ^^^ and Miro's.

This is something I've often wondered about...I try to use a couple 'verbs per mix, sending each instrument (guitars, vocals, snare, etc) to 'em at different levels...

Sometimes I'll pan the send on the guitars to make it be on the opposite side (guitar panned 100L, then I'll pan the 'verb send 100 to the right for example)...I know there are really no rules, but again, I've often wondered how other people do this sorta thing...

This is something I've often wondered about...I try to use a couple 'verbs per mix, sending each instrument (guitars, vocals, snare, etc) to 'em at different levels...

Sometimes I'll pan the send on the guitars to make it be on the opposite side (guitar panned 100L, then I'll pan the 'verb send 100 to the right for example)...I know there are really no rules, but again, I've often wondered how other people do this sorta thing...

Yeah, well yep kind of ' all the above, but.. for me anyway, 90% of cases.. the struggle' is in getting that stuff to sit well. 'Timing, (well there's about five or more' in there alone to sort out), freq and diffusion.. All about getting it to 'speak' in the right way.. Yikes. :)

Tip O the day..
About half of what reverb is.. Is in what you send it.
Or don't send it :D

One thing I like to do is send a guitar track to a spring reverb and have the main track slightly to one side and the reverb send panned all the way on the opposite side.

thanks guys, i've done a bit of experimenting, and I like the sound of it panned hard wide both sides, and then a chorus just before the reverb to give it some 'lushness'.

Back