Where do you keep your mics?

HogansHiro

Now with 25% more sarcasm
Trying to get a handle on my mics. I have 10 and some came with cases, some came with sleeves/pouches, some came with jack-shit. I'm tired of random boxes / mics everywhere I look. You guys have no idea how much Crown Royal I had to drink to get some of the sleeves I now use. AND.... No I don't have space for an official locker.

So, what cases/tool boxes do you guys keep your multiple mics in? Basically I want to steal somebody elses idea for unique mic storage.

My buddy has a weird little wine rack thing he lined with foam to keep mics in ...neat idea but I refuse to do it.

Thanx

I have a Guardforce tool case from Lowe's, plus a bunch of random boxes and pouches.

I actually do have a locker...but..it is about to be replaced by a 4 drawer file cabinet that i bought from a friend for $10. :)

Dito above... exept I don't have enough mics to fit in a four drawer file cabinet, so I have a two drawer. (although in those two drawers there are over $15,000 worth of mics [a pair of u87s and a pair of royers and a triplet of 414s add up fast ;))

The ones I use occasionally, I keep in their cases. The ones I use all the time stay on their stands covered by tight black crew socks! :D

I keep my mics _IN A VAN_ DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!

I've seen the foam lined wine rack thing a lot and have been considering going that route myself.
One of my pals who does live stuff just has plastic tubs full of mics in zipper pouches and Crown Royal type bags. We did a gig on Monday and I noticed he had a leatherette AKG case full of Beyer M160's just knocking around together - no foam or anything. For whatever reason, they were all in good shape.

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335

I have a little bedroom studio and a few mics. I keep them in my Girlfriend's underwear drawer...I am not allowed to have random boxes and pouches so I use whats there...But a lil file cabinet sounds like a good idea

Brent Casey said:
I keep my mics _IN A VAN_ DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!!!
Just when I think I've finally gotten that out of my head, someone has to come and bring it up again and almost put me on the floor laughing... :mad:

Altruist said:
I have a little bedroom studio and a few mics. I keep them in my Girlfriend's underwear drawer...I am not allowed to have random boxes and pouches so I use whats there...But a lil file cabinet sounds like a good idea

What if mine doesn't wear any? :confused:

I have mics at home, the office, freind's house, and at both studios... when the mics are not in use I keep them in plastic zip lock type bags with silica gel packets, then I put them in the original mic pouch and then into aluminum cases that I get from Harbor Freight Tools http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35777 when they're on sale... I just got some more case's the other day when they were on sale for $15 each.

Altruist said:

Is that also your pop filter drawer?? :D :D

Hey man, this mic smells like ........... nevermind............ must be my imagination :D :D :D

I guess I'm gonna cruise on down to Home-Depot and see what hard shell tool cases they have.

A singer came in yesterday with his own LD vocal mic...no idea what brand it was since it was repainted black...I guess thats more punkish. At least I gotta give him props for finding and buying a mic that works well with his voice. Anyway....he carried it in a plastic hardshell pistol case, someone could probably fit 3 LD mics in one of those without being crowded. I thought it was a mic case that came with it until he told me he bought it at a gun store.

Last edited:
I have a trunk/footlocker that I keep them in. Its got a two compartment tray that I put all the mics in (in their padded bags or boxes), and I keep my cables under the tray in the big area of the footlocker.

Orange 70's paramedic case with blue on white medical logos. Perfect for mics, adapters, connectors, etc. Only drawback, it's wood under the orange tolex and heavy as hell.

dude.

I use one of those big plastic 3-drawer tupperware things from target. and in their boxes (duh). middle drawer = mics, bottom = pedals, top = random crap! (drumsticks, cable ends, tambourine, e-bow, velcro)

thre's a really nice cigar store near me so, nice wood boxes.
and i put them in a file cabinet.

cheeper stuff goes in a big padded box i got at lowes.

Back