Where do you have your audio interface placed?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I've got mine on top of my PC tower, under my desk. Even when the room is fairly well lit I find it difficult to see the red marks on the gain and headphone level knobs when I'm working. The front of the tower/interface is even with the front edge of the desk so it's easily reached.

I'm trying to decide how I want to get some good light onto the front of the interface without using too much light or too big a lamp. Right now, I'm thinking some kind of LED lamp with a clamp and gooseneck I can put on the desk leg next to the tower. That would be a leeeetle bit in the way but being able to read my settings down there would be worth it.

Since I already know which knobs and switches are for what, I can tell by feel which is which, I need the light to see the red indicators on the knobs. Another option would be to "sticky" an LED lamp under the front edge of the desk, above the interface just to illuminate the tops of the knobs. Hmmm..

No stuck under the monitor and I cant get to turn the knob but I have nowhere else to put it.

Are you using a desk with some shelving on it with the monitor on the upper level with the interface.. something like this, for example?

desk.png

I just put a small lamp under the desk, then to the side, shining down on the interface, but nothin' doin'. The red marks on the knobs are on the front faces and become even more difficult to see when the light shines down or from the side.

Maybe I can find a way to rotate the interface upward 45°-90°.

:eek::facepalm: I got it! Get me some Velcro and stick the interface to the side of the tower case with the front face rotated 45° toward the front. THEN sticky that small LED lamp under the desk above it. Welll Du-UHHHH :p:guitar:

I am a keyboard player and only record myself so..I have a 5' x 3' metal steelcase table top that sits in front of the 88 keyboard. It serves as a stand for the iMac and its keyboard , a mount for the boom ( no stand but rather bolted to the table) that hold the two mics that I sing into (one going to the Voicelive harmonizer then to the mixer, the other going directly to the mixer), a place to set either my 8 channel USB mixer which serves as a 2 digital out interface or my XR 18. Since I got the usb mixer the XR18 will only come out when I am recording more than just me. When I am sitting at my keys the tabletop is just above the back of the keyboard and everything is a hands reach away and easy to see...It works.

Mine are in a rack at eye level when sitting.

(An older 8 channel Focusrite and eleven rack)

Another is under my 16 track analog deck. That unit is an Allen and Heath Ice16. No preamps just a combination interface and 16 channel I/O converter.
Mainly use that to convert tape to digital and be able to mix through my board.

I like my hybrid approach.

My 6i6 sits on its side next to my tower, under my desk. But I mostly use it for transferring stereo and 4-track tapes and the occasional Zoom meeting. I'm thinking of mounting it under my (computer) keyboard tray. Probably I'll just set it on top of my Tascam 302 that's on a little folding table next to my desk while I'm doing some transfers.

Mine are in a rack ... at knee level.
The PC sits on top of the rack (when it works).
Things with knobs to twiddle are in the upper rack area. and things with cables from the front are lower down.
Top of the rack is currently Roland Integra 7.
Next down are Behringer Bass Vamp Pro, then Behringer Vamp Pro. I'm getting back into loving these at present.
Then Focusrite 18i8.
Then Behringer ADA8000 ADAT module.

There's a similar rack in my drum room.

As the rack is against the wall, it can be awkward grovelling on the floor to peek in from the sides, to see which rear connectors are which.
I have a little LED torch to help out there.

My desk is 8 feet wide, everything - computer, interface, monitors, etc are on the desk (with various platforms). Under the desk is for storage. I adjust the input gains on the interface as needed depending on the mic and source, why would I NOT want it it within easy reach?

Trying out a new photo hosting place (ok, it works!), AI is on the shelf to the right of the monitor
atudio-22.jpg

Last edited:
The MOTU's are rack mounted and well lit. I have a Behringer UMC1820 on the coffee table near me in case the mood hits me mid Dr Who.

Mine is in a rack off to my right, but it's fully digitally controlled so I never have to actually touch it other than to turn it on and off. Gain, routing, linking inputs together for stereo, all that stuff is through TotalMix on my computer.

When I was using desktop format interfaces, I always kept it on the desktop within arm's reach. Being the nerve center of a home studio, I always prioritized having it in a prime piece of real estate on my desk. Other stuff could be displaced to make room for it.

Mine is in a rack, poorly lit and not easy to get to. I get around it by having the first three channels set to 50%, 65% and 85% I can get to the first three XLRs so one of the first three holes will be fine for shoving the mic cable into, or jack as they’re combos. Rarely do I then need to touch the gains. Stupid really, but it works for me.

Mine is on my desk, just to the left and where it's unlikely to get buried. (I tend to be a little cluttered, to which the picture will testify :)). The interface is sandwiched between a GAP Pre-73 and Behringer headphone amp.

IMG_7702.jpg

On the left under the songwriting book is a Fast Track pro.
Into it is an XLR from a kick drum mic and an XLR for a snare mic.
Also into it is a SPDIF cable from the Tascam 2488 to which go the other mic for the drums.
Sometimes used for guitar tracking.
On the left side of the desk behind the cans is a Balance interface device by propellerhead.
The two mics on the desk go into Balance.
These are the mics I have been using the most lately.

IMG-3156.JPG

Back