Where do you do this stuff? a question for everyone

thecuriouscouch

do most of you guys just convert the majority of your house into your studio? and for the guys who obviously built your studios, where do you build it at? I guess im asking if you build close to where you know you will get business or is it not a big deal. actually whatever you want to throw at me would be nice. thanks

The kitchen, 'cuz that's where the computer is. But I don't do it as a business.

I lucked out and had an existing outbuilding to convert. The previous owner used it as an office.

In my dream world, I convert my 1500 ft2 dilapidated shed into a studio, and exotic and insightful acoustic musicians travel to my rural oasis to satisfy their muses . . .

Reality is a 100 ft2 basement room that I carved out of the existing utility room that no one enters but me :eek:

thecuriouscouch said:
do most of you guys just convert the majority of your house into your studio? and for the guys who obviously built your studios, where do you build it at? I guess im asking if you build close to where you know you will get business or is it not a big deal. actually whatever you want to throw at me would be nice. thanks

My basement studio will be completed this week. Three rooms, 8x8, 8x9, & 9x10. Location isn't likely a major issue as long as you're marketing yourself well I imagine. The Seattle area has many downtown studios and studios in suburbs as well as isolated in the hills away from the city. Same for the San Francisco Bay Area.

I have my basement converted to a studio. Plus I have access to an old factory I've been useing lately for tracking.

Dining room/ living room. Biggest room in the house, with a vaulted ceiling from 8'- 11'6". L-shaped. My desk and gobos take up most of the dining room. I mic stuff under the highest part of the ceiling. My wish list for this room includes hardwood flooring and oriental rugs, maybe some hanging baffles, and (someday) a full set of 4 slot resonator corner basstraps.

Because it's the living room I've tried to make my studio furniture and gobos look like "real" furniture. If I was in a basement or a dedicated room I might be able (if my OCD subsided momentarily :D) to not be so anal about building all this stuff.

Honestly, it's a major distraction. I really just wanna play my guitar and make a recording of it.:)

holy crap man i know what your talkin about. since i got my recording gear, guitar should be taking anti-depressants. everytime i pickup my guitar i think about recording and then its all downhill from there :rolleyes:

Back