Where do I get this stuff?

gaffa

Recalcitrant Member
Ok,

Here's the deal.

I've got a mate in the US at the moment (apparently, if he wasn't so pissed as to have slept in, he was catching a train this morning to New Orleans from California somewhere), and I was thinking about getting him to buy me a decent soundcard.

So, what I need to know is:

Where do you buy a soundcard from in the US? He's travelling round, so I need a shop either on the east cost or in LA (he's got to fly out of LA, so I'm assuming that at some point he'll go back there). Currently, New Orleans is the best available place (or LA). I'll also need the actual address of any place you recommend (cos he's got to find it somehow).

So what place is going to give me the best price? A warranty isn't that important, seeing as I live a long-ish walk from the US, with a large puddle in the way). What place is going to have these kinds of soundcards in stock (since he can't wait for it to bee ordered in).

I guess I'm looking at a GadgetLabs 496 or something of an equivalent price (I'll take any recommendations on decent cards as well if you're willing. Anything rackmount is out cos he'll have to cart it around in his backpack probably.)

Thanks in advance of some decent recommendations

- gaffa

gaffa,

First, the Gadget Labs card are only available direct from Gadget Labs, so your mate won't be able to walk into a store and get one unless he finds a used one.

Otherwise, go for the region that has the lowest sales tax, and arm him with list prices and typical prices from online stores as haggling data. Both NY and LA have sales taxes approaching 10%; I suspect New Orleans might be the best of the three you mentioned, but don't quote me.

Or what about this (if you know when and where he'll be in advance enough: order one from an online shop (for example, say Bayview Pro Audio at http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/) or Gadget Labs as you mentioned, a couple of days in advance, and have them ship it to where your friend will be. You might have to pay an extra $10-15 bucks to ship it next-day or second-day air but you'll probably be able to get the best price this way, and avoid sales tax as well. Of course the timing is tricky there... and you already have kind of ruled this out in what you said...

Hopefully now someone can pitch in and point you to stores in New Orleans, NY, and LA.

As far as specific cards, I have the Delta66 (4 bal/unbal analog in/out + stereo S/PDIF in/out), and it sounds terrific -- but don't they all? Haven't had it long enough yet to vouch for how well it will hold up. That should be small enough to lug around in a pack. Other choices would be the Gina24 or Darla24 by Echo, and a host of others... depends of course entirely on what features you want.

Good luck...

-AlChuck

[This message has been edited by AlChuck (edited 06-30-2000).]

Here in LA. Fry's Electronics very cheap superstore.

Or if he will be around a few days and can wait for a shipment then I use a component shop to get a low price on such things. This one has been good to me. www.specialtytech.com

Fry's? All they have is Diamond MonsterSounds and Turtle Beach Montegos and Creative Labs cards and some other no-name $20 cards... at least that's all the the ones up here in the SF Bay Area carry. And trhe prices on them aren't that specatcular either.

-AlChuck

Jeez, you missed all those no name Korean models. I am amazed that anyone could name all of the brands of Soundcards at Fry's.

I missed the part about wanting one similar to the GadgetLabs 496. Gaffa, Alchuck is correct Fry's products are in the under $200 range.

middleman,

I grouped all the Korean models in the phrase "and some other no-name $20 cards."

What are the good stores in LA these days for the kind of stuff gaffa's looking for? I used to live there put it's been 18 years since I did...)

-AlChuck

Most of the pro models will be in the music stores like Guitar Center or Sam Ash. They generally carry all the pro level stuff.

I generally go online when I need something really pro and look for a closeout.

Back